A little Bra-Ket notation theorem that I don't get

In summary: He did use the term "real linear operator" to mean "self-adjoint operator" as you pointed out. He also used the term "Hermitian pair" for "self-adjoint operator" in his 4th edition. "Real linear operator" and "Hermitian pair" are much more explicit than "self-adjoint operator".
Excimer
I'm continuing through Dirac's book, The Principles of Quantum Mechanics. You can view this as a google book in the link below.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...page&q&f=false

On page 28-29 he proves this Theorem:

If ξ is a real linear operator and

ξm|P> = 0 (1)

for a particular ket |P>, m being a positive integer, then

ξ|P> = 0

And the proof is fine by me except for the first part where he says:

put m = 2 then (1) gives

<P|ξ2|P> = 0 (2)

and goes on to prove it by induction. But I don't see how (2) is 'given' from (1).

Can anyone explain?

If he is relying on assuming (1) is true for some ket |P> and positive integer m, then I just pick m = 1 and it's not a theorem. And besides, in this case he never demonstrates a definite example of the statement being true, which you need to do in induction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the way I do understand that because ξ is a real linear operator that the conjugate to ξ|P> is <P|ξ so that you can write <P|ξξ|P>, but I don't see that it follows this is equal to zero.

Link doesn't work for me.

Are there any conditions on [itex]\xi[/itex]? If you only assume it to be a real linear operator, then I think I can find counterexamples to the statement.

The assumption is that for some positive integer m, equation (8) holds.
Clearly, if m = 1 the statement is trivial, so he considers m = 2 as the base case.

So first he proves that if ξ²|P> = 0, then ξ|P> = 0. The reasoning is as follows: assume ξ²|P> = 0. <P| is a linear operator, so <P|0 = 0. Hence, <P|ξ²|P> = 0. However, instead of looking at that expression as <P| applied to ξ²|P>, you can also view it as <P|ξ applied to ξ|P>. Since ξ is real, <P|ξ = <P|ξ*, so what you have is really || ξ|P> ||² (the length of ξ|P>) which can only be zero if ξ|P> is zero.

Then he shows that if it is not given that ξ²|P> = 0 but ξm|P> = 0 for some higher m, it can be reduced to the m = 2 case from which we have just shown that the m = 1 case follows.

CompuChip said:
Since ξ is real, <P|ξ = <P|ξ*

That is not really true, is it??

Anyway, a counterexample is given by

[tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1\\ 0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Then [itex]A^2 = 0[/itex], but [itex]A\neq 0[/itex]. So take, for example, |P> = (0,1) and the theorem is false.

Good point.
It's been a while, wasn't it ξ|P> = <P|ξ?
So you need A = A := (A*)tr, in other words, for ξ to be Hermitian.

Compuchip,

So you mean to say that the theorem should specify m > 1 since otherwise you allow the trivial solution? It might be a silly detail but I find things more confusing when they are not stated rigorously.

In any case I think I get it now thanks to you.

Excimer said:
So you mean to say that the theorem should specify m > 1 since otherwise you allow the trivial solution?

It doesn't have to: it is also true for m = 1, but trivially so, as you say. However, if you want to prove it for all m then this case doesn't help you, so you need to consider m = 2 as the base case.

CompuChip said:
Good point.
It's been a while, wasn't it ξ|P> = <P|ξ?
So you need A = A := (A*)tr, in other words, for ξ to be Hermitian.

Yes, you need [itex]\xi[/itex] to be Hermitian. Or since [itex]\xi[/itex] is already real, you need it to be symmetric.
Or a little more general, if [itex]\xi[/itex] is normal (= commutes with its adjoint), then it holds. But it fails for more general operators.

Oh, apparently Dirac uses the term "real linear operator" to mean "self-adjoint operator". In that case, the theorem holds true, of course. But it's a weird terminology...

If ξ is real then it equals it's own adjoint, and on page 28 Dirac remarks that if ξ is real than so is ξξ, so if you can take that at face value then ξ must commute with it's adjoint.

Ah, you got in before me.

Ok thanks both of you for helping me out.

Cheers

micromass said:
Oh, apparently Dirac uses the term "real linear operator" to mean "self-adjoint operator". In that case, the theorem holds true, of course. But it's a weird terminology...

Hi micromass,

Dirac wrote his QM book in 1930, before the terminology imposed in functional analysis through M.H.Stone's 1932 book appeared. He did review his QM book and 3 more editions appeared, but the mathematical terminology was not adjusted.

Related to A little Bra-Ket notation theorem that I don't get

1. What is Bra-Ket notation?

Bra-Ket notation, also known as Dirac notation, is a mathematical notation system used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and linear operators. It is a combination of the bra vector, represented by <a|, and the ket vector, represented by |b>. The bra vector represents the conjugate transpose of the ket vector.

2. How is Bra-Ket notation used in quantum mechanics?

Bra-Ket notation is used to describe the state of a quantum system and the operations performed on it. The bra vector represents the initial state of a system, while the ket vector represents the final state. Linear operators, such as Hamiltonians and observables, are represented by matrices in Bra-Ket notation.

3. What is the significance of the Bra-Ket notation theorem?

The Bra-Ket notation theorem is used to prove the completeness and orthogonality of the basis states in quantum mechanics. It states that the inner product of two vectors can be represented as a sum of the outer product of the basis vectors.

4. How does the Bra-Ket notation theorem relate to quantum measurements?

The Bra-Ket notation theorem is essential in understanding quantum measurements. In quantum mechanics, the probability of measuring a particular outcome is given by the square of the absolute value of the inner product of the initial and final states. The theorem shows that the basis states are orthogonal, meaning that the measurement of one basis state will not affect the measurement of another basis state.

5. Can Bra-Ket notation be used in other areas of science?

While Bra-Ket notation was originally developed for use in quantum mechanics, it has also been applied in other areas of science, such as signal processing and linear algebra. It is a versatile notation system that can represent abstract mathematical concepts and operations in a concise and elegant way.