A-Level Physics Problem - Velocity

In summary, the speed of a cart (roller coaster) after it has traveled down a frictionless incline is dependent on the angle of the slope, but does not depend on the distance traveled.
elDuderino81
1. A Level Physics - finding resultant velocity at bottom of a frictionless incline, with no angle provided?
2. Hi, I am currently working through a problem set and I'm being asked to find the speed of a cart (roller-coaster) after it has traveled down a slope (from points A to B). The trouble is, I've not been given any angles other than the right angle, and no information regarding distance travelled.

The only information I have is the mass of the cart (Mc), the hight from which it is released from rest (hA), and I have been asked to assume acceleration due to gravity as 10ms-1.

Mc=6000N
hA=50m
g=10ms-13. Am I being a bit dim here? The way I see it, without the angle of inclination I won't be able to find the resultant velocity right? Regardless of the inclination being frictionless, there would still be a reaction force that would effect the velocity, but without the angle I can't resolve that either? I'm a bit stumped by this.

Any assistance anyone could lend regarding this would be very much appreciated.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the final speed does not depend on the angle of the slope. :wink:

Hint: What's conserved?

Hmm, ok. So kinetic energy is conserved, so:

V^2=U^2+2as → 0+2*10ms'1*50m=1000ms-1

Velocity will be sqroot = 31.62ms-1?

If the slope is frictionless, what reaction force could there be which would retard the motion of the cart?

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
If the slope is frictionless, what reaction force could there be which would retard the motion of the cart?

wouldn't it normally be the perpendicular component of MgXsinθ? This is what confused me initially. If it was a standard freebody diagram on a horizontal plain, the reaction force would be equal to Mass*Gravity (R=mg). .

The total energy is conserved as a gain in kinetic energy through a loss in potential. This is where I was able to make sense of using the V^2=U^2+2as, but because their isn't an initial velocity, it would simplify to the root of 2*g*Δh.

Have I understood this properly? My answer appeared quite sensible (31.62ms-1)

elDuderino81 said:
Hmm, ok. So kinetic energy is conserved, so:
Total mechanical energy is conserved.

V^2=U^2+2as → 0+2*10ms'1*50m=1000ms-1

Velocity will be sqroot = 31.62ms-1?
That's a correct equation, but I'm not sure your reasoning is correct. That's usually a kinematic equation.

What you want is energy conservation:
KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf
PEi = KEf

mgh = 1/2mv^2

(That's equivalent to what you have done, of course.)

Likes 1 person
elDuderino81 said:
wouldn't it normally be the perpendicular component of MgXsinθ? This is what confused me initially. If it was a standard freebody diagram on a horizontal plain, the reaction force would be equal to Mass*Gravity (R=mg). .
There will certainly be a normal force acting on the coaster at every point along the path. But that force is perpendicular to the velocity, so it does no work and does not affect the speed of the coaster.

The total energy is conserved as a gain in kinetic energy through a loss in potential.
Good.

Likes 1 person
Thank you Doc Al and SteamKing for prompting me in the right direction, very much appreciated! :-)

Related to A-Level Physics Problem - Velocity

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object's position changes over time. It is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the time it took to make that change. The formula for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. While speed is the rate at which an object is moving, velocity takes into account the direction of movement as well.

4. How does acceleration affect velocity?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. If an object experiences constant acceleration, its velocity will change at a constant rate. This means that the object will either speed up, slow down, or change direction.

5. How does air resistance affect an object's velocity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion through air. This force can slow down an object's velocity, making it move at a lower speed. However, the exact effect of air resistance on velocity depends on the object's shape, size, and speed.