A kid jumps a meter into the air. How long before he lands?

In summary, the time it takes for the kid to land after jumping a meter into the air is .95 seconds, assuming he jumps upward at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2 and falls downward at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2. The kid's initial velocity can be calculated using the kinematic equations or by using the equation Ef - Ei = 0.
ADH
A kid jumps a meter into the air. How long before he lands?

The answer to this question is .95 seconds.

I first calculated the time it took for the kid to fall downward. Which was about .45 seconds. But I used the acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 since he was falling downward. My teachers answer of .95 is assuming that he jumps upward at the rate of 9.8 m/s^2. Is that accurate? I mean, the kid could have jumped up really quickly, but gravity would still pull him down at a rate of .45 sec.

Thank you for the clarification.

Also what is this kid's initial velocity? Is it zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
they don't really give you a whole lot of stuff to work with, but you do know the acceleration of his jump.

If you looking for time i might try using energy (if you know how).

Ef - Ei = 0;

1/2*mv^2 - mgh = 0;

you can solve for v and that will be your initial velocity.

Otherwise I would look into the kinematic equations

Related to A kid jumps a meter into the air. How long before he lands?

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for the kid to land?

The time it takes for the kid to land can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height of the jump (1 meter in this case), and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. Does the weight of the kid affect the time it takes for them to land?

Yes, the weight of the kid does affect the time it takes for them to land. A heavier kid will experience a greater force of gravity and therefore will take less time to land compared to a lighter kid.

3. How does air resistance factor into the time it takes for the kid to land?

Air resistance does play a role in the time it takes for the kid to land. The more air resistance, the longer it will take for the kid to land. However, for a short jump of only 1 meter, the effect of air resistance is minimal and can be ignored in calculations.

4. Is the time it takes for the kid to land affected by the angle of the jump?

Yes, the angle of the jump can affect the time it takes for the kid to land. If the kid jumps at an angle, the vertical distance will be shorter and therefore the time to land will be shorter as well. However, for a perfectly vertical jump, the angle will not affect the time to land.

5. What is the maximum height a kid can jump and still land safely?

This depends on various factors such as the age and physical abilities of the kid. Generally, it is recommended to not jump higher than one's own height. For example, a kid who is 1.2 meters tall should not attempt to jump higher than 1.2 meters to ensure a safe landing.