A good beginners Physics book?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good physics basics book to study during the summer before starting university. Christian recommends "Conceptual Physics 11th Ed." by Paul G. Hewitt for a conceptual approach and "Physics vol. I and II" by Resnick, Halliday, and Krane for a more mathematical approach. The conversation also mentions other popular options such as "University Physics" and "The Flying Circus of Physics."
christian0710
Hi,
I want to begin studying physics at university this summer, and I'd like to know. What is a good Physics basics books that will give me a good intuition and solid understanding of subjects such as gravitation, electricity, magnetism etc.? It's been a while since i studied physics in high school so i'd like to get up to speed with a good book.

Christian

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on how deep you want to dive into the Mathematics.
If you're seeking a textbook that is primarily conceptual with background mathematics, then look into Conceptual Physics 11th Ed. by Paul G. Hewitt.

If you're into the more mathematical aspect of physics, check out the following textbooks:

Physics vol. I by Resnick, Halliday and Krane, 5th Edition
Physics vol. II by Resnick, Halliday, and Krane, 5th edition

Vol I. focusses primarily on Mechanics whereas vol II. focusses primarily on Magnetism, Electrostatics, etc.

I'm quite interested in a mix of the conceptual and a book with a good background in algebraic manipulation for physics(I wan't to be ready for calculus by having a solid background)

I think the Physics by Resnick, looks interesting. It might be a big for me, if I was to read such a big book i might as well begin reading the physics textbook "university physics" since it's the book we will be reading at my university, but the again if it's really good it might give me a better understanding :)

There's not a lot of difference between the common university intro physics texts (Halliday/Resnick, et al.). The differences are mainly in style and the exact sequence of topics. If you already know which book you'll be using at university, you might as well start with that, assuming you know some calculus already.

Hewitt's book might be useful as a supplement or preliminary reading. You can get an idea of the concepts and general topics without getting bogged down in a lot of mathematical details. However, if you tend to become frustrated by gaps in explanations, or "hand-waving" to skip over mathematical details, then this might not be for you.

Cutnell and Johnson for algebra-based.

Knight's book for scientists and engineers for calc-based.

"Physics of Everyday Phenomena" for super-simple conceptual intro (it was my first).

Do not get Halliday and Resnick, just get The Flying Circus of Physics instead.

Related to A good beginners Physics book?

1. What topics should a good beginners Physics book cover?

A good beginners Physics book should cover basic concepts such as motion, forces, energy, light, sound, and basic laws of physics such as Newton's laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics.

2. What makes a good beginners Physics book different from other Physics books?

A good beginners Physics book should use simple and easy-to-understand language, provide clear explanations and examples, and avoid complex mathematical equations that may be difficult for beginners to comprehend.

3. Should a good beginners Physics book include practical applications of physics?

Yes, a good beginners Physics book should include practical applications of physics to help readers understand how physics affects our daily lives and the world around us. This can also make the subject more interesting and relevant to beginners.

4. Is it important for a good beginners Physics book to have interactive elements?

Interactive elements such as diagrams, illustrations, and hands-on experiments can greatly enhance a beginner's understanding of physics. However, they are not necessary for a good beginners Physics book as long as the explanations are clear and concise.

5. Can a good beginners Physics book be used as a reference guide?

Yes, a good beginners Physics book can serve as a valuable reference guide for those who want to review or refresh their knowledge of basic physics concepts. However, it may not cover advanced topics in depth and may not be suitable for those pursuing a higher level of study in physics.