A geometry question in Comsol (draw a semi-circle tangent to a line)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Comsol for drawing a Tesla valve model. The software has a "Tangent" option for 2D drawings, but its capabilities for solid mechanics and CFD are limited compared to other programs like Abaqus and Ansys. Comsol is also considered to be good for thermodynamics simulations. Its popularity is lower due to its high price and focus on less commonly simulated phenomena.
yabi
TL;DR Summary
How can draw a semi-circle tangent to a line in Comsol?
I am new to Comsol. I want to draw my model which is a Tesla valve. The geometry is little complicated and I don't know how to draw a semi-circle tangent to a line. Is it possible? I draw it in Solidworks and imported it into Comsol but it gives error and I think it is better to draw inside Comsol from scratch.

BTW the newest thread about Comsol in this forum dates back to 2015. Is Comsol outdated and has no usage these days? Why it is not among active topics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a „Tangent” option in Comsol’s Geometry —> Operations toolbar for 2D drawings. Just keep in mind that this software has limited capabilities when it comes to modeling and it might be easier to create geometry in CAD software and the import it to Comsol (maybe you should use different format or change the way you model parts in SolidWorks).

Comsol is not outdated. In fact, recently new version was released. It’s just quite unpopular (mostly used by universities) because of it’s high price and focus on less commonly simulated phenomena such as optics and electromagnetics. Also, its more advanced solid mechanics capabilities (such as contact) are worse than those of Abaqus or Ansys.

FEAnalyst said:
There is a „Tangent” option in Comsol’s Geometry —> Operations toolbar for 2D drawings. Just keep in mind that this software has limited capabilities when it comes to modeling and it might be easier to create geometry in CAD software and the import it to Comsol (maybe you should use different format or change the way you model parts in SolidWorks).

Comsol is not outdated. In fact, recently new version was released. It’s just quite unpopular (mostly used by universities) because of it’s high price and focus on less commonly simulated phenomena such as optics and electromagnetics. Also, its more advanced solid mechanics capabilities (such as contact) are worse than those of Abaqus or Ansys.
Dear FEAnalyst
Thanks for your reply. Your last sentence means Comsol is not good for solid mechanics and Abaqus or Ansys is better?
Do you have any idea about advantage or disadvantage of Comsol for thermodynamics and Computational Fluid Dynamics projects?

It depends what you want to simulate but generally I wouldn't choose Comsol for solid mechanics problems other than very simple cases. Even SolidWorks Simulation can handle them better.
Comsol is also weak in terms of CFD capabilities - mainly because it uses FEM instead of FVM. For CFD there's no better choice than Ansys (Fluent or CFX). But for heat transfer you can uses Abaqus as well as Ansys and other, less advanced programs. Comsol is quite good in thermodynamics too.

Likes yabi

Related to A geometry question in Comsol (draw a semi-circle tangent to a line)

1. What is the purpose of drawing a semi-circle tangent to a line in Comsol?

The purpose of this geometry question is to demonstrate the ability to create and manipulate geometric shapes in Comsol, a software used for simulating and analyzing physical systems.

2. How do I draw a semi-circle tangent to a line in Comsol?

To draw a semi-circle tangent to a line in Comsol, you can use the "Draw" tool and select the "Arc" option. Then, click on the line where you want the semi-circle to be tangent and drag the cursor to create the desired size and shape.

3. Can I adjust the position and size of the semi-circle after it has been drawn?

Yes, you can adjust the position and size of the semi-circle by selecting it and using the "Edit" tool. This will allow you to move and resize the semi-circle as needed.

4. How can I make the semi-circle tangent to the line at a specific point?

To make the semi-circle tangent to the line at a specific point, you can use the "Snap to Point" option while drawing the semi-circle. This will ensure that the semi-circle is perfectly tangent to the line at the selected point.

5. Is it possible to create a semi-circle tangent to a curved line in Comsol?

Yes, it is possible to create a semi-circle tangent to a curved line in Comsol. You can use the "Tangent to Curve" option while drawing the semi-circle to ensure that it is tangent to the curved line at the desired point.