A FORTRAN code for solving Sudoku puzzle

In summary, Dear Jedish, you can try to generate a Sudoku puzzle by using a number of different methods, or you can try to find a solution for a given Sudoku.
yabi
For few days I am thinking to write a code in FORTRAN to solve the sudoku puzzle.
At first it seams simple but I have no luck writing this code.
I am wondering if there is any written code to solve this puzzle.
I hope Sudoku puzzle is known for members here.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku

Likes Arpan Dubey
Technology news on Phys.org
You can get some inspiration from my own solution in python: on my blog.

You may find some help in this book (I haven't read it, but I was told some great things about it).

J.

yabi said:
For few days I am thinking to write a code in FORTRAN to solve the sudoku puzzle.
At first it seams simple but I have no luck writing this code.
I am wondering if there is any written code to solve this puzzle.
I hope Sudoku puzzle is known for members here.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku

I'm sure sudoku is well-known to people here. What have you tried? What difficulties are you having?

Trying to write a sudoku generator is a lot easier than writing a sudoku solver especially if you start with an existing solution and then use the transformation rules for sudoku:

1) you can reorder any row or col within a group and still have a valid puzzle
2) you can reorder any 3-row or 3-col groups and still have a valid puzzle

from that you can see that you can generate a lot of different but related puzzles.

One question I had though was whether you could generate the complete set of sudoku puzzles or not given one solution and these transformations.

Dear Mark
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to draw a flowchart of solution in FORTRAN.
My methodology is as follows:
1- Select each cell with zero value (empty cells are zero) in big square (9x9) starting from top left
2- Put value 1 to the first zero cell.
3- Check this cell with all cells in same row. If they have same value, add one to previous value of cell and check again.
4- repeat item 2 and 3 for same column
5- repeat item 2 and 3 for small square (3x3)
Go to next step.

This methodology is not a wise method and even if it is able to solve, it will take lots of time.
So I think there must be a better solution strategy.

Dear Jedish
Thanks for comments. I was unaware of transformations you mentioned. They are interesting however I don't think they might help me to draw a flowchart for solution.
As you wrote, making a generator is lot easier than writing a solution. But I don't have a solution for a given Sudoku.

yabi said:
Dear Jedish
Thanks for comments. I was unaware of transformations you mentioned. They are interesting however I don't think they might help me to draw a flowchart for solution.
As you wrote, making a generator is lot easier than writing a solution. But I don't have a solution for a given Sudoku.

Okay so a brute force scheme would be to assign all blank cells with the value of 1 and then consider the cells together as a monster number that you can count thru like 1111111111111111 then 1111111111111112...

Next provide a method to validate a potential solution, ie is the 3x3 square valid, does the row have a duplicate, does the col have a duplicate... if it fails then increment the cell and try again when it hits 9 increment the next cell and reset the first cell to 1 and repeat incrementing the first cell...

Another method would be to generate a set of potential solutions and use a genetic algorithm to merge solutions and a scoring function to evaluate solutions.

Dear AlephZero and jedishrfu

Thanks for replies. I have seen the wikipedia page but wanted to try a personal way for solving.
It seams that there are many discussions on the issue and I was unaware of them.
I will read the brute force algorithm thoroughly and let you know what am I up to do.

Related to A FORTRAN code for solving Sudoku puzzle

1. What is FORTRAN?

FORTRAN (short for Formula Translation) is a high-level programming language that was created in the 1950s for scientific and numerical computing. It is still commonly used today in various scientific and engineering fields.

2. How does a FORTRAN code solve Sudoku puzzles?

The FORTRAN code for solving Sudoku puzzles uses algorithms and logical reasoning to fill in the missing numbers in the puzzle grid. It follows the rules of Sudoku, such as each row, column, and 3x3 grid must contain all numbers from 1 to 9 without any repetition.

3. Is FORTRAN the best language for solving Sudoku puzzles?

While FORTRAN is a popular language for scientific computing, there is no one "best" language for solving Sudoku puzzles. Different programming languages may have their own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to solving specific problems.

4. Can I use the FORTRAN code to generate Sudoku puzzles?

The FORTRAN code for solving Sudoku puzzles is designed to solve existing puzzles, not generate new ones. However, it can be modified or combined with other code to generate puzzles.

5. Are there any limitations to using FORTRAN for solving Sudoku puzzles?

FORTRAN is a powerful language, but it may not be the best choice for every problem. Some limitations of using FORTRAN for solving Sudoku puzzles may include longer coding time, less user-friendly syntax, and limited graphics capabilities compared to other languages.