Solving a colour puzzle programmatically

In summary, the conversation is about a color-matching puzzle app on a phone and how to solve it programmatically with the least number of moves. The participants discuss identifying the initial configuration, finding and sorting neighbors, and using polynomials to make predictions for correct tile positions. They also mention the minimum-move challenge and the use of cycles and loops to solve the puzzle efficiently.
DaveC426913 said:
Yah, it's a straight sort. The trickiness lies in the fact that the only criteria is colour, and the colour gradients get more and more subtle.

It is confounded by contextual perception - eg. a yellow tile will look peach or green depending on context. And you have no way to compare them before committing to a swap.

eg: these discs are both the same yellow:
View attachment 278997
This is SO unfair to people with color-deficient vision. :-b Well, I suppose I can at least be grateful for having vision. And a computer and a safe home to use it. And...

Technology news on Phys.org
Bruzote said:
This is SO unfair to people with color-deficient vision. :-b
It is! SO unfair.

This app I downloaded for free for my own amusement should be grey-scale only, to accommodate those with colour deficiencies.

Likewise, football and other sports are SO unfair for those of us with 50-something dad-bods. To be more fair, they should make the games less about athleticism and more about cerebral agility.

:-b

So, one wants to be careful what one asks for.

The game developers have released a version 2 of I Love Hue (Too)!

1618690881588.png

This version provides a 'minimum possible moves' stat for every game.

Which is great - exactly what I wanted.

Except what's happened is it's just raised the bar for me. Rather than setting my personal bar at 'beating the average' it's now 'hitting the minimum possible moves'. Which is harder.

This game is designed to be Zen-calming, but it just gets more stressful.

Back