A formula for the number of structures composed of n squares

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving symmetrical structures made by joining squares, and the search for a formula to determine the number of structures that can be made with a given number of squares. The conversation explores different approaches and strategies, including looking at the problem as a sequence and searching for patterns, but ultimately concludes that a nice formula is unlikely due to the complexity of the problem. Various resources and terms, such as polyplets, pseudo-polyominoes, and OEIS, are mentioned as potential sources of information and patterns.
ddddd28
Hello,
The problem I came up with deals with the structures that can be obtained by joining squares side to side or corner to corner. Specifically to this problem, structures, that are symmetrical to each other, are regarded the same.
Ideally, I am looking for a formula that will tell how many structures can be made with n given squares. However, I am aware of the problem's complexity (this is the nature of partition problems...), so,at least, it will be comforting, if someone comes up with an insight about what happens "behind the scenes" in the problem.
One can easily observe that the n+1 structures can be generated from the n structures. By applying this principle, I was able to draw all the unique structures up to n=5. Then, I tried to classify them by the minimal rectangle that encloses the structure, and still lead to no progress.
I ran out of new strategies for a solution, and I am asking for another perspective on the problem.

Attachments

• IMG-20180623-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20180623-WA0007.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 438
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try thinking of it as a sequence given ##a_n## what is ##a_{n+1}## ?

You have 5 numbers - did you search for the beginning of the sequence on OEIS?

These problems often end up in a lot of casework done by a computer.
jedishrfu said:
Try thinking of it as a sequence given ##a_n## what is ##a_{n+1}## ?
I would be very surprised if you get a nice formula for that.

Wolfram mathworld calls it a polyplet and Wikipedia a pseudo-polyomino or polyking. The OEIS also has various sequences, depending on wether rotations and/or reflections will result in the same figure, and what to do with holes. No one has any formula.
There's much more literature on poliyominoes, that only allow edge-connections.

Likes mfb

Related to A formula for the number of structures composed of n squares

1. What is the formula for calculating the number of structures composed of n squares?

The formula for the number of structures composed of n squares is n! (n factorial).

2. How does the formula work?

The formula works by multiplying the number of squares (n) by all the numbers that come before it, starting with 1. For example, if n = 4, the formula would be 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24.

3. Can this formula be used for any number of squares?

Yes, this formula can be used for any number of squares because it is based on the concept of factorials, which can be calculated for any positive integer.

4. Are there any limitations to this formula?

While this formula can be used for any number of squares, it does have limitations. It assumes that all squares are identical and that they can be arranged in any order. In reality, there are often restrictions on how squares can be arranged in a structure.

5. How is this formula useful in scientific research?

This formula is useful in scientific research, particularly in the fields of mathematics, chemistry, and materials science. It can be used to calculate the number of possible structures for a given system, which can provide valuable insights into its properties and behavior.