A double differentiation under the integral sign

In summary, "A double differentiation under the integral sign" is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals involving multiple variables. It is typically used when solving integrals with multiple variables or when the integrand cannot be expressed in a closed form. It works by applying the chain rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus to the integrand and the limits of integration. The benefits of using this technique include making solving integrals easier and more efficient, as well as simplifying complicated integrals. However, there are limitations to its use, as it may not be applicable to all types of integrals and requires a solid understanding of the chain rule and fundamental theorem of calculus.
DavideGenoa
Hello, friends!
Let $k:\mathcal{O}\times\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R}$, with $\mathcal{O}\subset\mathbb{R}^m$ open, be such that $\forall x\in\mathcal{O}\quad k(x,\cdot)\in L^1(\mathbb{R}^n) $, i.e. the function $y\mapsto k(x,y)$ is Lebesgue summable on $\mathbb{R}^n$, according to the usual $n$-dimensional Lebesgue measure.

I read (theorem 1.d here, p. 2) that

if $\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i} k(\cdot,y)\in C(\mathcal{O})$ for almost all $y\in\mathbb{R}^n$ and there exists $ g\in L^1(\mathbb{R}^n)$ such that $$|\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i} k(x,y)|\le g(y)\quad\forall x\in\mathcal{O}\quad\text{for almost all }y\in\mathbb{R}^n,$$then$^1$ $$\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}k(x,y)\,d\mu_y=\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}k(x,y)\,d\mu_y$$where $x_i,x_j$ are components of $x$.

A corollary to the dominated convergence theorem says that
- if $f:V\times [a,b]\to \mathbb{R}$, $(\boldsymbol{x},t)\mapsto f(\boldsymbol{x},t)$ with $V$ measurable is such that $\forall t\in[a,b]\quad f(-,t)\in L^1(V)$, i.e. the function $\boldsymbol{x}\mapsto f(\boldsymbol{x},t) $ is Lebesgue summable on $V$,</sub>
- and if there is a neighbourhood $B(t_0,\delta)$ of $t_0$ such that, for almost all $\boldsymbol{x}\in V$ and for all $t\in B(t_0,\delta)$, $\left|\frac{\partial f(\boldsymbol{x},t)}{\partial t}\right|\le\varphi(\boldsymbol{x})$, where $\varphi\in L^1(V) $, then
$$\frac{d}{dt}\int_V f(\boldsymbol{x},t) d\mu_{\boldsymbol{x}}\bigg|_{t=t_0}=\int_V\frac{\partial f(\boldsymbol{x},t_0)}{\partial t}d\mu_{\boldsymbol{x}}$$
and therefore I see that, provided that $\forall x\in\mathcal{O}\quad \partial_{x_i}k(x,\cdot)\in L^1(\mathbb{R}^n) $ (which I do not know how to prove$^2$), then$$\partial_{x_j}\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_i}k(x,y)\,d\mu_y=\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}k(x,y)\,d\mu_y$$but then I do not know how we can "move" $\partial_{x_i}$ outside the integral.

How can we prove that $\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}k(x,y)\,d\mu_y=\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}k(x,y)\,d\mu_y$? I thank any answerer very much.

Notes:
$^1$When I read a text I always assume that it is prefectly worded. Nevertheless, after many fruitless trials, I am not excluding that this result is intended to hold provided that the condition (b) here holds. I would be very grateful to any answerer confirming or denying that.
$^2$By using Fubini's theorem I only see that, once chosen an arbitrary interval $[a,t]$, the function $\partial_{x_i}k(x_t,\cdot)-\partial_{x_i}k(x_a,\cdot)$, where $x_t$ has $t$ as its $j$-th component, is summable and its integral is $\int_{[a,t]}\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}k(x,y) \,d\mu_y \,d\mu_{x_j}$.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your findings on this topic. It seems that you have done a thorough investigation and have come across some interesting results. I am not an expert in this specific field, but I would suggest reaching out to other researchers or consulting with a mentor or colleague for further guidance on this problem. It may also be helpful to review other literature on this topic to see if other researchers have addressed this issue or have proposed alternative solutions. I wish you the best of luck in your research.

Related to A double differentiation under the integral sign

1. What is "A double differentiation under the integral sign"?

"A double differentiation under the integral sign" is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals involving multiple variables. It involves differentiating both the integrand and the limits of integration with respect to the same variable.

2. When is "A double differentiation under the integral sign" used?

"A double differentiation under the integral sign" is typically used when solving integrals with multiple variables, or when the integrand cannot be expressed in a closed form. It can also be used to simplify complicated integrals.

3. How does "A double differentiation under the integral sign" work?

"A double differentiation under the integral sign" works by applying the chain rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus to the integrand and the limits of integration. This results in a simpler integral that can then be solved using basic integration techniques.

4. What are the benefits of using "A double differentiation under the integral sign"?

"A double differentiation under the integral sign" can make solving integrals with multiple variables easier and more efficient. It can also help to simplify complicated integrals and make them more manageable to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using "A double differentiation under the integral sign"?

Yes, "A double differentiation under the integral sign" is not always applicable and may not work for all types of integrals. It also requires a solid understanding of the chain rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus in order to be used effectively.