A differentiation and integraion question

In summary: For part (a):f'(x)=\frac{1}{\left(\frac {x}{\sqrt{a-x^2}}\right)}.\frac{d\left(\frac {x}{\sqrt{a-x^2}}\right)}{dx}For part (b):\int \frac {1}{x(25-x^2)} \,.dx=\int \frac{1}{25x}\,.dx+\int \frac{x}{625-25x^2}\,.dx\int \frac {1}{25x}\,.dx=\frac{1}{25}\ln x
kevester

Homework Statement

a) if f(x)= ln(x/√(a-x^2)) show that f'(x) = a^2/x(a^2-x^2)

∫1/x(25-x^2) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

for a) i tried differentiating the top (ans. = 1) then the bottom.. obviously the bottom's where hte prob is at lol.. i kno d/dx ln[f(x)] --> 1/(f(x) χ f '(x) but i still lost..

for b) i tried integrating it but idk I am a bit lost..

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (a):
[tex]f(x)= \ln \left(\frac {x}{\sqrt{a-x^2}}\right)[/tex]
First, find the derivative of ln. Then, multiply by the derivative of the fraction.

For part (b), is this what you meant? Try to use LaTeX for clarity.
[tex]\int \frac {1}{x(25-x^2)} \,.dx[/tex]

Last edited:
for part b yes that's what i mean. for part a.. i dnt get u? as i said above the differential of a ln(f(x) = 1/f(x) * f ' (x) is that what u did?

idk what LaTeX is...

kevester said:
for part b yes that's what i mean. for part a.. i dnt get u? as i said above the differential of a ln(f(x) = 1/f(x) * f ' (x) is that what u did?

idk what LaTeX is...

Yes, that's exactly what i suggested for part (a).

LaTeX is just an easy programming language for displaying equations, matrices, vectors and formulas clearly, as you can see in this post.

For part (a):[tex]f'(x)= \frac{1}{\left(\frac {x}{\sqrt{a-x^2}}\right)}.\frac{d\left(\frac {x}{\sqrt{a-x^2}}\right)}{dx}[/tex]
Now, to find the derivative of: [tex]\frac {x}{\sqrt{a-x^2}}[/tex]
Use the substitution, [itex]u=a-x^2[/itex].
But the answer doesn't check out with what you have provided in post #1. So, verify if the problem and/or answer are correct in post #1.

For part (b):
Express in partial fractions:
[tex]\int \frac {1}{x(25-x^2)} \,.dx=\int \frac{1}{25x}\,.dx+\int \frac{x}{625-25x^2}\,.dx[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac {1}{x(25-x^2)} \,.dx=\int \frac{1}{25x}\,.dx+\int \frac{x}{625-25x^2}\,.dx[/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{1}{25x}\,.dx=\frac{1}{25}\ln x[/tex]
To find the following integral:
[tex]\int \frac{x}{625-25x^2}\,.dx[/tex]
Use the formula:
[tex]\int \frac{f'(x)}{\sqrt{f(x)}}\,dx=2\sqrt{f(x)}+C[/tex]
You just rearrange the real constant coefficient of the numerator to match that of f'(x).

Last edited:

Related to A differentiation and integraion question

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. It is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How is differentiation used in science?

Differentiation is used in science to understand and analyze systems that are constantly changing, such as motion, growth, and decay. It is also used to find maximum and minimum values of functions, which can be applied to optimization problems in various scientific fields.

3. What is integration?

Integration is the inverse process of differentiation. It calculates the accumulation of a function over an interval by finding the area under the curve. It is used to solve problems involving velocity, acceleration, and total change.

4. How is integration used in science?

Integration is used in science to analyze and understand systems that involve accumulation, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. It is also used to find the total change in a variable over a given time period.

5. What is the relationship between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse processes of each other. Differentiation finds the slope of a curve at a specific point, while integration calculates the area under the curve. They are essential tools in mathematics and science, and are often used together to solve complex problems and analyze systems in various fields.