A derivation of the Vdc in a fullwave rectifier with smoothing?

In summary, the conversation was about deriving the Vdc in a fullwave rectifier with a smoothing capacitor. The speaker's final equation matched the book equation, but they were unsure if their attempt was completely correct as they assumed Vdc is the average value of the discharging function and neglected the charging part. They used the first 3 terms of the Taylor approximation to get the answer and were seeking verification. The other person confirmed that assuming Vdc is the average of the discharging function is a good approximation, but noted that the charge-up time is not zero and depends on diode resistances, transformer resistances, and leakage inductances.
patric44
Homework Statement
i had an assignment of deriving the Vdc in a fullwave rectifier with smoothing capacitor
Relevant Equations
Vdc = V average of the discharging part
i was trying to derive the Vdc in a fullwave rectifier with smoothing capacitor , i guess i had it right as my final equation matches the book equation :

Vdc~(1-(1/2fRC))Vp , but i am not really sure that my attempt was completely right as i assumed that Vdc is the average value of the discharging function neglecting the charging part , and i had to take the first 3 terms of the Taylor approximation to get the answer ,
i just want some one to verify my attempt :
capacitor.png

cap33.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help , i will really appreciate it

Last edited:
i just want to know if assuming that the vdc is the average of the discharging function is a good approximation
or not .
r9MqF.gif

Attachments

• 1582313870333.png
    1582313870333.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 100
Yes it is. The diode resistances are very much smaller than the load resistance so the charge-up time is very small compared to the discharge time.

But the charge time is not zero, and depends not only on diode forward voltage drops but also transformer winding resistances. and leakage inductances.

Related to A derivation of the Vdc in a fullwave rectifier with smoothing?

1. What is a fullwave rectifier?

A fullwave rectifier is an electronic circuit that converts alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC). It does this by using diodes to only allow current to flow in one direction, resulting in a smoother output of DC voltage.

2. What is the purpose of smoothing in a fullwave rectifier?

The purpose of smoothing in a fullwave rectifier is to reduce the pulsating nature of the DC output. This is achieved by using a capacitor to store and release charge, resulting in a more stable and constant DC voltage.

3. How is the Vdc value derived in a fullwave rectifier with smoothing?

The Vdc value in a fullwave rectifier with smoothing is derived by taking the average of the pulsating DC output. This is done by integrating the voltage over one complete cycle and dividing it by the time period of that cycle.

4. What factors can affect the Vdc value in a fullwave rectifier with smoothing?

The Vdc value in a fullwave rectifier with smoothing can be affected by various factors such as the capacitance of the smoothing capacitor, the load resistance, and the frequency of the AC input. Changes in these factors can result in a change in the Vdc value.

5. How does a fullwave rectifier with smoothing compare to a halfwave rectifier?

A fullwave rectifier with smoothing produces a smoother and more constant DC output compared to a halfwave rectifier. This is because a fullwave rectifier uses both halves of the AC input cycle, while a halfwave rectifier uses only one half. Additionally, the smoothing capacitor in a fullwave rectifier helps to reduce the ripple in the DC output.