A couple simple linear algebra questions.

In summary, it is true that A+A is invertible if A is invertible. This is because det(A)≠0 and det(A+A)=det(2A)=2^n * det(A)≠0. A 3x3 matrix can have 2 distinct eigenvalues, meaning it can have as many as 2 different eigenvalues. However, the number of eigenvalues a matrix can have is dependent on its size and only square matrices with n ≥ 2 are considered. The minimum number of eigenvalues a nxn matrix can have is 1, but it can have up to n eigenvalues.
charlies1902
I think I know the answer to these questions, but I just want to make sure.

1) If A is invertible then A+A is invertible. True/False
True.

Because det(A)≠0, det(A+A)=det(2A)=2^n * det(A)≠0

Is this correct.

2) A 3x3 matrix can have 2 distinct eigenvalues. True/False
True, although I was kind of confused with what "distinct" means.
The characteristic polynomial can look something like this: (λ-1)^2 * (λ+2)
Distinct just refers to the # of "different" eigenvalues right? And doesn't include them again if they're repeated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, you first one looks good. As does your second one.

Distinct does indeed refer to the amount of DIFFERENT eigenvalues a matrix has in this case.

In general, if you have an nxn matrix, it CAN have as many as n distinct eigenvalues.

Zondrina said:
In general, if you have an nxn matrix, it CAN have as many as n distinct eigenvalues.

so basically 0≤λ≤n?

charlies1902 said:
so basically 0≤λ≤n?

What does this statement mean? What is λ?

I think what you're intending is to say that there are going to be greater than or equal to zero eigenvalues for a nxn matrix, this is incorrect to assume. Is a matrix really a matrix if n = 0? Even the statement makes me cringe.

Really, we're only concerned with the eigenvalues of matrices for n ≥ 2 and only square matrices are considered.

So supposing that A is an nxn matrix. The fewest eigenvalues it can have is 1 and that's only if the algebraic multiplicity of the eigenvalue equals n. Otherwise it can have up to n eigenvalues. I hope that clears that up for you :).

Related to A couple simple linear algebra questions.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and other mathematical structures to solve problems related to systems of linear equations.

What are the basic operations in linear algebra?

The basic operations in linear algebra include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, multiplication of matrices and vectors, and finding the inverse and determinant of a matrix. These operations are used to solve problems related to systems of linear equations and to manipulate data in a variety of applications.

What is the importance of linear algebra in scientific research?

Linear algebra is essential in scientific research as it provides tools and techniques for representing, analyzing, and solving mathematical models and systems. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, statistics, and computer science to study and solve complex problems and make predictions based on data.

What are some real-life applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous real-life applications, including image and signal processing, data compression, cryptography, computer graphics, machine learning, and optimization. It is also used in fields such as finance, biology, and social sciences to analyze and interpret data.

What are some common misconceptions about linear algebra?

Some common misconceptions about linear algebra include that it is only for advanced mathematicians, that it is only used in theoretical contexts, and that it is not relevant to everyday life. However, linear algebra is a fundamental and practical mathematical tool that is used in a wide range of disciplines and applications.