A couple question on illumination.

• Thread starter jefgreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, for the first problem, the intensity of the second lamp is 110 cd. For the second problem, the distance from the wall for the 15cd lamp is 6.9m. This can be solved using the equation L1/d1^2 = L2/d2^2, where L1 and L2 represent the luminous intensity of the lamps and d1 and d2 represent the distances from the wall.
jefgreen
Q1:

Two lamps illuminate a screen equally. The first lamp has an intensity of 12.5cd and is 3.0m from the screen. The second lamp is 9.0m from the screen. What is its intensity?

I know I need to use P=4*pi*(I), but there is no variable included for distance (d). Another formula given is: Eill=P/(4*pi*d^2). How should I go about solving this problem now?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q2:

A 15cd point source lamp provide equal illuminations on a wall. if the 45cd lamp is 12m away from the wall, how far from the wall is the 15cd lamp.

Again, there is no variable for distance in the equation: P=4*pi*I.

Physics news on Phys.org
Illumination on a screen is inversely proportional to the square of the distance and directly proportional to the luminous intensity of the lamp.
So L1/d1^2 = L2/d2^2.
You can use this relation both the problems.

Last edited:
Instructor's answers:
#1: 110 cd
#2: 6.9 m
------------------------
My answers and work:
#1:

12.5 cd xxxxxx cd
-------- = --------
3.0m^2 9.0m^2

My answer: 112.5cd OR 113.0 cd.
---------------------------------------------------
My answers and work:
#2:

45 cd 15 cd
------ = ------
12 m xxxx m

My Answer: 4.00 m
---------------------------------------------------

As you can see, I'm just slightly off from what my instructor's answers were.

So, are my answers correct?

Bump. Am I correct?

Bump. All I need is clarification...

First answer is correct.
In the second problem
45/12^2 = 15/d^2.
Solve for d.

rl.bhat said:
First answer is correct.
In the second problem
45/12^2 = 15/d^2.
Solve for d.

Thank you, sir. :cool:

Related to A couple question on illumination.

1. What is illumination?

Illumination refers to the amount of light present in a given space or environment. It is a measure of the brightness or intensity of light.

2. How is illumination measured?

Illumination is typically measured in units called lux or foot-candles. Lux is the international unit of measurement, while foot-candles are commonly used in the United States.

3. What factors can affect illumination?

Several factors can affect illumination, including the type and placement of light sources, the presence of reflective surfaces, and the color and texture of objects in the space.

4. Why is illumination important in scientific research?

Illumination plays a crucial role in scientific research as it can impact the accuracy and reliability of experiments and observations. Proper illumination is necessary for clear visibility and accurate data collection.

5. How can illumination be controlled or adjusted?

Illumination can be controlled or adjusted by using different types of light sources, adjusting the intensity of the light, and using reflective surfaces or diffusers to manipulate the direction and distribution of light. Advanced techniques such as light metering and spectral analysis can also be used to fine-tune illumination levels.