A couple of concepts I would like to understand.

In summary, the concept of electrons moving from higher potential to lower potential is true, but there are other factors to consider such as the magnitude of the charges and their distances. In the given scenario, the electron would want to go towards the positive charge, but the repulsive force from the negative charges also plays a role. Additionally, it can be helpful to think in terms of magnitudes rather than absolute values when considering energy in a circuit.
Lifprasir
They say that electrons move from the higher potential to the lower potential. For example, in this situation.

Q1 and Q2 are negative charges and Q3 is positive. But, the equipotential is lower on the Q1 and Q2, so by definition of potential difference, the electron would go from the positive to the negative. But isn't there another concept that says opposites attract? so shouldn't the electron go to the positive charge? I don't quite understand what is happening here.

Attachments

• prob04a_threeqcontour.gif
    prob04a_threeqcontour.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the electron would want to go towards the positive charge, the force due to opposite charges is attractive, but there is also a repulsive force due to the negative charge. The direction Q1 will travel for example depends on the relative distances q2 and q3 are away from it and also the charges they have.

I think I know where your coming from about high to low potential, but try thinking in terms of magnitudes, an example is in a circuit with a battery and a resistor. In magnitude the electrons have a high voltage at the start and a low voltage at the end. With the setup you have shown for example, say the proton has a high postive charge, then thinking in a magnitude type manner the electron will have zero joules of energy when it reaches the proton. It will technically have +5J or so of energy, but it won't use that energy to move around and so it is useful to think of it as being 0J to move around with.

Related to A couple of concepts I would like to understand.

1. What are the basic concepts of scientific research?

The basic concepts of scientific research include hypothesis, experimentation, data collection and analysis, and conclusion. These concepts are used to gather evidence and draw conclusions about a specific phenomenon or problem.

2. How can I develop a hypothesis for my research?

To develop a hypothesis, you first need to identify a research question or problem. Then, you can use existing knowledge and observations to come up with a possible explanation or prediction. This is your hypothesis, which can be tested through experimentation.

3. What is the importance of data collection in scientific research?

Data collection is crucial in scientific research as it provides evidence to support or refute a hypothesis. It also allows for the replication of studies and the examination of patterns and trends.

4. How do scientists analyze data?

Scientists use various statistical methods to analyze data, depending on the type of data and research question. This can include descriptive statistics, such as mean and standard deviation, or inferential statistics, such as t-tests and ANOVA. The goal is to make sense of the data and draw meaningful conclusions.

5. What are the limitations of scientific research?

Some limitations of scientific research include ethical considerations, availability of resources, and the inability to control all variables in an experiment. There may also be biases or limitations in the data collection and analysis methods used, which can affect the validity and generalizability of the results.