A couple basic physics questions(vector sum and kinematics)

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle's position and velocity on the x-axis and the magnitude of a vector when added to another vector. The answers to the given questions are 0 for the particle's velocity when it is not moving and 3.2m for the magnitude of vector B. The explanation for solving for t in the first question and the understanding of the wording in the second question are also mentioned.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

I already know the answers because this is a review sheet, but I don't understand how to solve number 1, and I don't understand the wording of number 2.

1) A particle is moving along the x-axis and has a position given by x=(24t-2.0t3)m, where t is in seconds. How far is the particle from the origin (x=0) at the time when the particle is not moving.

answer is t=32 seconds, but I don't quite know how to solve for t this way.

2) A vector B, when added to vector C= 3i + 4j yields a resultant vector which is in the positive y-direction and has a magnitude equal to that of vector C. What is the magnitude of B?

I know how to add vectors, but I don't understand the wording here.

Answer is 3.2 m.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) When the particle is not moving, what is its velocity?

2) Assume vector B = xi + yj. |B+C| = |C| and the i-component of B+C is zero.

SteamKing said:
1) When the particle is not moving, what is its velocity?

2) Assume vector B = xi + yj. |B+C| = |C| and the i-component of B+C is zero.

1) It is 0. when v=0, t=2, when t=2, m=32 m.

2) crystal clear. thanks.

Last edited:

Related to A couple basic physics questions(vector sum and kinematics)

1. What is the vector sum of two or more vectors?

The vector sum is the result of adding two or more vectors together. It can be found by arranging the vectors tip to tail and drawing a line from the initial point to the final point. The resulting vector is the vector sum.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length of the vector. It can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It includes both the magnitude and direction of motion. On the other hand, speed is a scalar quantity that only describes the magnitude of an object's motion.

4. How do you calculate displacement from a velocity-time graph?

Displacement can be calculated from a velocity-time graph by finding the area under the curve. This is because the area under the curve represents the change in position or displacement of the object.

5. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed can be thought of as the overall rate of motion, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a particular instant.