A Conjecture : can anyone find a counter-example or otherwise disprove ?

• Thread starter uart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjecture
In summary, the conversation discusses a conjecture involving the product of rational fractions and its limit as n approaches infinity. The conjecture states that if the limit is finite, then it is irrational. The participants also discuss a possible counter example and their mathematical intuition regarding the conjecture. They also suggest a modification to ensure the "not cancelled" clause is not violated.
uart
Science Advisor
Hi, I have a conjecture and I am not sure whether it is true. I can't construct a counter example but perhaps someone more mathemetically resourceful than myself can do so (or perhaps even offer a direct proof or disproof).

Here's the conjecture.

Let [tex]X_n = r_1 \, r_2 \, r_3 \, ... \, r_n[/tex], be a product of n rational fractions [tex](r_i)[/tex] , such that, for each n in [1,2,3 …] the numerator of [tex]X_n[/tex] has at least one prime factor (uncancelled of course) greater than n.

Conjecture : If the limit as n goes to infinity of [tex]X_n[/tex] is finite then it (the limit) is irrational.

If you can't find a counter-example (or direct proof or disproof) then what does your mathematical "intuition" think about it, do you think it's probably true or probably false.

Thankyou. :)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Start with [tex]\inline{r_1=2/1}[/tex].

For any [tex]\inline{n\geq 1}[/tex]:
if [tex]\inline{X_n>1}[/tex], define [tex]\inline{r_{n+1}=p_{n+1}/(p_{n+1}+e_{n+1}}[/tex] where [tex]\inline{p_n+1}[/tex] is the [tex]\inline{n+1}[/tex]-th prime number and [tex]\inline{e_{n+1}}[/tex] is the least integer that doesn't have [tex]\inline{p_{n+1}}[/tex] as a factor and makes [tex]\inline{X_{n+1}<1}[/tex].
if [tex]\inline{X_n<1}[/tex], define [tex]\inline{r_{n+1}=p_{n+1}/(p_{n+1}-e_{n+1}}[/tex] where [tex]\inline{e_{n+1}}[/tex] is the greatest integer less than [tex]\inline{p_{n+1}}[/tex] and makes [tex]\inline{X_{n+1}>1}[/tex].

Then, [tex]\inline{\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}X_n = 1}[/tex]

This isn't rigorous, but I'm fairly convinced one can make a real proof out of this.

Hey, I think you've convinced me. :)

The only thing that I would change is to stipulate that each of the [tex]e_{n+1}[/tex] must be an odd number, so as to make each [tex](p_{n+1} \pm e_{n+1})[/tex] in the denominator an even number. That way you can guarantee that none of the denominator terms can contain the same prime as the next numerator term in the product. This modification will make sure the "not cancelled" clause insn't violated and I don't think it will change the fact that the limit is 1.

Now I can finally put that attempted proof of Pi irrational based on an infinite product to rest.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Related to A Conjecture : can anyone find a counter-example or otherwise disprove ?

1. What is a conjecture?

A conjecture is a statement or idea that is proposed to be true but has not been proven or confirmed.

2. How do you prove or disprove a conjecture?

A conjecture can be proven to be true by providing evidence or a logical argument that supports it. On the other hand, a counter-example can disprove a conjecture by providing a specific example that contradicts the statement.

3. Can a conjecture ever be proven to be 100% true?

No, a conjecture can never be proven to be 100% true. This is because even if a conjecture has been tested and proven to be true in every known case, there is always the possibility of a future case that could disprove it.

4. How do you know if a conjecture is significant?

A significant conjecture is one that has the potential to lead to new discoveries or advancements in a particular field. It may also have practical applications or implications for other theories or concepts.

5. Is it important to try to disprove conjectures?

Yes, trying to disprove conjectures is an important part of the scientific process. It allows for the exploration of different perspectives and can lead to the refinement or rejection of existing theories, ultimately advancing scientific knowledge and understanding.