A confusing definition of limit of a sequence

In summary, the definition is trying to say that for every number there exists another number that the sequence approximates to, and that this limit is 1.
jens.w

Homework Statement

I'm having an enormously hard time wrapping my head around the following definition, which is using some concepts that keep showing up in other definitions and theorems.

I'll state the definition and then i'll ask about the parts that i don't understand:

We say that [tex]limx_{n}=L[/tex] if for every positive number [itex]\epsilon[/itex] there exists a positive number N = N([itex]\epsilon[/itex]) such that [tex]\left | x_{n}-L \right |< \varepsilon [/tex] holds whenever n [itex]\geq[/itex] N.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the whole thing is just a big mess in my head, so the questions I am able to formulate are:
What is this epsilon number? How is it related to N? Why is [tex]\left | x_{n}-L \right |< \varepsilon [/tex] when n [itex]\geq[/itex] N?

If these are irrelevant questions, can you please try to explain this definition from another viewpoint, maybe even graphically?

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't quite the definition I learned for limits, but it is very similar. I eventually wrapped my head around it, I'll try my best to explain here...

The number L is what the sequence approximates to as 'n' gets larger and larger.
Use the sum of the sequence (1/2)+(1/4)+(1/8)+... as an example. We know the limit of this as n→∞ is 1.
Take an arbitrarily small epsilon, e.g. 0.1 or something. Can we find an N such that for all n≥N, the difference between our approximation and L=1 is less than 0.1? So Xn would have to be 0.9 or more; in this case N is 4 as 1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16 = 0.9375, and 1-0.9375 is less than our arbitrary epsilon.
It is easy to see that, no matter how small we choose epsilon to be, we will be able to find an N such that the approximation is close enough to L. This is the definition of a limit.

I hope that helped.

[itex]|x_n- L|[/itex] measures how close [itex]x_n[/itex] is to L. Saying there exist N such that if n>N, [itex]|x_n- L|< \epsilon[/itex] means "we can make [itex]x_n[/itex] arbitrarily close to L (less than distance [itex]\epsilon[/itex] from L) by going far enough in the sequence.

Yes, yes, yes. Nytik you made it much clearer. Especially with the example.
Also thank you HallsofIvy.

Now it actually makes sense to put those demands on the sequence, to be comfortable with saying that it will approach a limit. Thank you!

Related to A confusing definition of limit of a sequence

1. What is the definition of limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is a specific value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases towards infinity. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to describe the behavior of a sequence as it approaches a certain value.

2. How is the limit of a sequence different from the limit of a function?

The limit of a sequence is a value that the terms of the sequence approach, while the limit of a function is a value that the function itself approaches. In other words, the limit of a sequence describes the behavior of a sequence, while the limit of a function describes the behavior of a function.

3. Can the limit of a sequence be infinite?

Yes, the limit of a sequence can be infinite. This means that as the number of terms in the sequence increases towards infinity, the terms of the sequence also increase towards infinity. However, not all sequences have a limit, and some may have a limit of negative or positive infinity.

4. How is the limit of a sequence calculated?

The limit of a sequence can be calculated using various methods, such as the squeeze theorem, the monotone convergence theorem, or the Cauchy criterion. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the terms of the sequence and determining the value that they approach as the number of terms increases towards infinity.

5. What is the significance of the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of a sequence and make predictions about its future terms. It also plays a crucial role in the development of calculus and is used in various applications, such as in physics and engineering, to model and analyze continuous processes.