A Comprehensive "Map of Electronics Engineering"

In summary, the person is looking for a map of the field of electronics engineering that goes beyond basic undergraduate course outlines. They are seeking a comprehensive map that includes fundamentals, applications, subtopics, explanations, resources, prerequisites, interdisciplinary areas, and "frontiers" of the field. They are asking for recommendations for such a resource or for any introductory readings that provide an overview of the field.
JC2000
Summary:: I was wondering if there was a map of electronics engineering much like this does for physics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZihywtixUYo).

I realize that looking at undergrad course outlines should give a decent picture of the field. However I am looking for a more comprehensive map which also includes the following :

1. Fundamentals of the field (down to the underlying physics concepts)
  2. Extends to areas of application/ industry
  3. Sub topics and their categorisation
  4. A basic explanation of what each sub topic is about (for instance I was looking up a course outline and topics like "Signal Processing and Linear Systems" etc hardly ring a bell for a complete beginner like me much like "Interference" or "Network Analysis" would not ring a bell if I were to open a high school physics textbook before high school...)
  5. Possibly even a list of best resources to learn each subtopic from...
  6. In a parallel list prerequisites from mathematics for each area
  7. Highlights interdisciplinary areas (with computer engineering/ biology etc) as well as the 'frontiers' of the field...

I would be grateful if you could :
  • Link such a resource if it exists...
  • Give as much information as you can and I will try to compile it ( assuming this would be useful), although this would take me a while as I am a complete beginner...
Additionally, are there any introductory/casual reads which give an overall perspective about the field (much like Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything)?
Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd and BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you want to map to guide you to choose courses, I moved this thread to academic guidance.

Likes JC2000

1. What is a Comprehensive Map of Electronics Engineering?

A Comprehensive Map of Electronics Engineering is a visual representation or diagram that outlines the various components, concepts, and principles involved in the field of electronics engineering. It provides an overview of the different subfields, such as circuit design, microelectronics, and telecommunications, and how they are interconnected.

2. Why is a Comprehensive Map of Electronics Engineering important?

A Comprehensive Map of Electronics Engineering is important because it helps individuals, especially students and beginners, to understand the complex and vast field of electronics engineering. It serves as a guide for learning and organizing knowledge, as well as a reference for professionals in the field.

3. How is a Comprehensive Map of Electronics Engineering created?

A Comprehensive Map of Electronics Engineering is created by experts in the field who have a deep understanding of the subject matter. It involves extensive research, analysis, and organization of information to create a clear and comprehensive diagram that accurately represents the different aspects of electronics engineering.

4. Can a Comprehensive Map of Electronics Engineering be used for practical applications?

Yes, a Comprehensive Map of Electronics Engineering can be used for practical applications. It can serve as a roadmap for individuals to navigate the different subfields and choose a specific area to specialize in. It can also be used as a reference for designing and troubleshooting electronic systems and devices.

5. Is a Comprehensive Map of Electronics Engineering constantly changing?

Yes, a Comprehensive Map of Electronics Engineering is constantly changing as new technologies and advancements are made in the field. It is important to regularly update the map to ensure that it remains relevant and accurate.