A composition of function problem

In summary, a composition of function problem involves combining two or more functions to create a new function. To solve it, you need to identify the functions, their inputs and outputs, and then substitute the output of one function into the input of the other. The purpose of these problems is to demonstrate function composition and reinforce understanding of function notation and operations. Examples include calculating total cost with sales tax and finding distance traveled. Challenges include correctly identifying inputs and outputs and simplifying the new function with algebra skills and understanding of function operations.
Rron

Homework Statement

We have f(f(x))=4x-15 , what is f(2)?

Homework Equations

Don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know how to start actually!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rron said:

Homework Statement

We have f(f(x))=4x-15 , what is f(2)?

Homework Equations

Don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know how to start actually!

Let f(x) = ax + b, and see where you go from there.

There are 2 distinct answers here.

Curios3141 thanks but couldn't get anything.
Tried a lot.

Then show us what you tried! If f(x)= ax+ b, what is f(f(x))?

HallsofIvy said:
Then show us what you tried! If f(x)= ax+ b, what is f(f(x))?
this is what i tried:
if f(x)=ax+b then f(2)=2a+b
I substituted f(x) in f(f(x)) with ax+b so it becomes f(ax+b)=4x-15
Now ax+b=2 so from this x=2-b\a so if u substitute x in the equation above f(2)=4(2-b\a)-15
then I equalized 4(2-b\a)-15=2a+b, but from this u can't get anything.

Rron said:
this is what i tried:
if f(x)=ax+b then f(2)=2a+b
I substituted f(x) in f(f(x)) with ax+b so it becomes f(ax+b)=4x-15
Now ax+b=2 so from this x=2-b\a so if u substitute x in the equation above f(2)=4(2-b\a)-15
then I equalized 4(2-b\a)-15=2a+b, but from this u can't get anything.
Hello Rron. Welcome to PF !

What is f(f(x)), using only the assumption that f(x) = ax+b ?

Rron said:
Curios3141 thanks but couldn't get anything.
Tried a lot.

As others have already stated, derive an expression for f(f(x)) in terms of a,b and x. Then set this equal to 4x-15 and see what values a and b can take.

I hope no one would mind me writing down the first few lines of the solution to guide our friend here.

Assume that f(x) = ax+b. We need to find f(2), which, from the assumption, equals 2a+b. This means we need to know the values of a and b to find f(2).

To find a and b, substitute f(x) = ax+b in the equation f(f(x)) = 4x-15. You have a[f(x)]+b = 4x-15 i.e. ...

I suppose we should wait for OP to show up in this thread before anyone else posts.

If he doesn't post in a week or two it might be a good idea for one of us to finish this up.

What does the management think about that?

Sorry but still nothing. Maybe it is because I learned these a long time ago. It actually has been 3 years since I last solved a function problem like this. So can you please show me the way that you solved this problem in order to save time struggling with the problem and then at the end getting nothing.
Thanks.

Rron said:
Sorry but still nothing. Maybe it is because I learned these a long time ago. It actually has been 3 years since I last solved a function problem like this. So can you please show me the way that you solved this problem in order to save time struggling with the problem and then at the end getting nothing.
Thanks.

Ah, but if we just present the solution, will you learn anything? :smile:

Let's take it step-by-step. It's just algebra.

Start with f(x) = ax+b

Then f(f(x)) = a(ax+b) + b = ?

We'll take it from there after you expand the bracket and rearrange terms to get that expression.

Curious3141 said:
Ah, but if we just present the solution, will you learn anything? :smile:

Let's take it step-by-step. It's just algebra.

Start with f(x) = ax+b

Then f(f(x)) = a(ax+b) + b = ?

We'll take it from there after you expand the bracket and rearrange terms to get that expression.

That's a piece of cake man. a^2x+ab+b

Rron said:
That's a piece of cake man. a^2x+ab+b

Great. Now compare that with what the question gave: f(f(x)) = 4x-15

So,

a2x + (ab + b) = 4x - 15

For that to be true in general, the coefficients of each term have to be equal. So you can state:

a2 = 4 ---equation 1

ab + b = -15 ---equation 2

Can you solve that system of simultaneous equations?

Curios3141 thank you so much finally solved it.
The answer is -1.

Rron said:
Curios3141 thank you so much finally solved it.
The answer is -1.

It's not the only answer though. Remember a = ±2. b can similarly take different values in each case. You get two perfectly valid forms for f(x). f(2) can take different values depending on which form.

Yeah I know that.-1 and 9 but forgot to tell you that I got some choices:
A)-1
B)-2
C)-3
D)-4

Rron said:
Yeah I know that.-1 and 9 but forgot to tell you that I got some choices:
A)-1
B)-2
C)-3
D)-4

9?

The other possible f(2) should be 11.

f(x) can be 2x - 5 → f(2) = -1

f(x) can be -2x + 15 → f(2) = 11

But here, you go with choice A of course.

Related to A composition of function problem

What is a composition of function problem?

A composition of function problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves combining two or more functions to create a new function. It is also known as a composite function or nested function.

How do you solve a composition of function problem?

To solve a composition of function problem, you first need to identify the functions involved and their inputs and outputs. Then, you can substitute the output of one function into the input of the other function to create a new function. Finally, you can simplify the new function to find the final output.

What is the purpose of a composition of function problem?

The purpose of a composition of function problem is to demonstrate the concept of function composition and how different functions can be combined to create a new function. It also helps to reinforce the understanding of function notation and function operations.

What are some common examples of composition of function problems?

Some common examples of composition of function problems include calculating the total cost of an item after adding sales tax or finding the distance traveled by a moving object over a certain period of time.

What are the challenges of solving a composition of function problem?

The main challenge of solving a composition of function problem is correctly identifying the input and output of each function and keeping track of the substitutions. Another challenge may arise when simplifying the new function as it requires strong algebra skills and understanding of function operations.