A complex integral from the text

In summary, Gasiorowicz states in his QM book that the integral of e^{i(p-p')x/\hbar}dx from negative infinity to positive infinity is equal to 2\pi \hbar \delta(p-p'). This result comes from setting i(p-p')/h = K and evaluating the solution at infinity, which does not exist due to the limit of cos and sin at infinity not existing. This integral is complex, but the explanation for this is not covered until the study of complex analysis. Another similar integral, \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{2ikx}dx = \pi \delta (k), holds true as long as k does not equal 0
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In my book QM book, Gasiorowicz says that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i(p-p')x/\hbar}dx = 2\pi \hbar \delta(p-p')[/tex]

Where does that come from? I mean, set i(p-p')/h = K. Then the solution is

[tex]\frac{\hbar e^{i(p-p')x/\hbar}}{i(p-p')}[/tex]

and evaluate at infinity, it doesn't exists as the limit of cos and sin at infinity do not exist.

There must be something in the fact that the integral is complex but I haven't studies complex analysis yet so go easy on me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
What, no one?

This takes a bit of work. Are you familiar with Fourier transforms?

Regards,
George

Just the basics. Forget it then. How about this one?

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{2ikx}dx = 0[/tex]

quasar987 said:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{2ikx}dx = 0[/tex]

This isn't consistent with your first post in this thread. To see this, set [itex]p'=0[/itex], [itex]\hbar =1[/itex], and [itex]x = 2u[/itex] in the integral in your first post.

Regards,
George

Well they are respectively equation 3-40 and 3-54 in Gasiorowizc. :frown:

It's okay if [itex]k \neq 0[/itex].

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{2ikx}dx = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{iku}du = \pi \delta (k)
[/tex]

This equals zero if [itex]k \neq 0[/itex].

Regards,
George

K! k is proportional to energy so k = 0 is kind of a trivial case. All good.

:frown: --> :smile:

Related to A complex integral from the text

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that combines the concepts of integration and complex numbers. It involves computing the area under a curve on a complex plane, which is a two-dimensional plane where the x-axis represents the real part and the y-axis represents the imaginary part of a complex number.

2. How is a complex integral different from a regular integral?

A complex integral differs from a regular integral in that it involves integrating functions of complex variables instead of real variables. This means that the values of the variables can have both real and imaginary parts, and the resulting integral will also have both real and imaginary parts.

3. What are some applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used in the fields of electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics to solve complex problems involving multidimensional functions.

4. How do you solve a complex integral?

Solving a complex integral involves a series of steps, such as determining the appropriate contour on the complex plane, evaluating the integrand, and applying techniques such as Cauchy's integral theorem or residue theorem. It also requires knowledge of complex analysis and calculus.

5. Is a complex integral always equal to a real number?

No, a complex integral can have both real and imaginary parts, so it is not always equal to a real number. However, in some cases, the integral may simplify to a real number depending on the function and the chosen contour on the complex plane.