Position mean in momentum-space (QM)

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the poster is asking for assistance in understanding the steps needed to find the expression for ##\langle x \rangle## in the momentum representation. They provide their attempted solution, but have encountered a sign error when integrating over ##p'##. The expert clarifies the correct steps and identifies the mistake in the solution. They also provide the correct expression for ##\langle x \rangle## in the momentum representation and offer further assistance if needed.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Find ##\langle x \rangle## in the momentum representation

I am having trouble understanding some of the steps needed to get to the expression, assistance is greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
$$\langle x \rangle = \langle \psi | x | \psi \rangle = \int dp \ dp' \langle \psi | p \rangle \langle p | \hat{x} | p'\rangle \langle p' | \psi \rangle$$
$$ \langle p | \hat{x} | p'\rangle = \int dx \langle p | x \rangle \langle x | \hat{x} | p' \rangle = \int dx \ x \langle p | x \rangle \langle x |p' \rangle$$
Since
$$\langle x | p \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} e^{\frac{i}{\hbar} p x}$$
I rewrote line 2 as
$$ \langle p | \hat{x} | p'\rangle = -\frac{i\hbar}{2 \pi \hbar} \partial _{p'}\int dx \ \exp {\big [ \frac{ix}{\hbar} (p'-p) \big ]} = -i \hbar \ \partial _{p'} \delta (p' - p) = -i \hbar \ \partial _{p'} \delta (p - p')$$
Here's where things went wrong, if I substitute the result above back into line 1, I have
$$\langle x \rangle = -i\ \hbar \int dp \ dp'\ \tilde{\psi }(p)\ \partial _{p'} \delta (p - p')\ \tilde{\psi }(p')$$
If I choose to integrate over ##p'## right away, I get a sign error. If I integrate over ##p'## by parts, I get the right answer. It seems that the partial derivative acting on the delta is what's causing problems while performing the integral. But even so, integration by parts "passes" the partial derivative over to ##\tilde{\psi} (p')## and yet it gets me the right answer. So what's wrong (and right)?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified. First, the expression for ##\langle x \rangle## in the momentum representation is given by
$$\langle x \rangle = \int dp \ dp' \langle \psi | p \rangle \langle p | \hat{x} | p'\rangle \langle p' | \psi \rangle$$
which is the same as what you have written. However, the next step should be
$$\langle p | \hat{x} | p'\rangle = \int dx \langle p | x \rangle \langle x | \hat{x} | p' \rangle = \int dx \ x \langle p | x \rangle \langle x |p' \rangle$$
Notice that in the second line, the integral is over ##x##, not ##p'##. This is where you made a mistake. The next step, using the expression for ##\langle x | p \rangle##, should be
$$\langle p | \hat{x} | p'\rangle = \int dx \ x \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} e^{\frac{i}{\hbar} p x} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar} p' x} = \frac{1}{2\pi \hbar} \int dx \ x e^{\frac{i}{\hbar} (p-p') x}$$
From here, you can use the fact that
$$\int dx \ x e^{ikx} = i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial k} \delta (k)$$
to get the correct expression for ##\langle p | \hat{x} | p'\rangle##. This will then give you the correct expression for ##\langle x \rangle## in the momentum representation.

I hope this helps and clears up any confusion you may have had. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the position mean in momentum-space?

The position mean in momentum-space is a measure of the average position of a particle in terms of its momentum. It is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the position and momentum probability distributions.

2. How is the position mean in momentum-space related to the uncertainty principle?

The position mean in momentum-space is related to the uncertainty principle in that it is one of the quantities used to calculate the uncertainty in a particle's momentum. According to the uncertainty principle, the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

3. Can the position mean in momentum-space be negative?

Yes, the position mean in momentum-space can be negative. This is because momentum can be negative, and the position mean is calculated by multiplying the position and momentum values, which can result in a negative value.

4. How does the position mean in momentum-space change over time?

The position mean in momentum-space can change over time depending on the state of the particle. In quantum mechanics, the position and momentum of a particle are constantly changing and can be described by a wave function. As the particle's wave function evolves over time, the position mean in momentum-space may change as well.

5. What is the significance of the position mean in momentum-space?

The position mean in momentum-space is significant because it provides information about the average position of a particle in terms of its momentum. This can help us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and make predictions about their movements and interactions.