A close approximation for square root of 2.

In summary, the conversation discusses various "funny coincidences" in mathematical expressions involving unrelated constants. The participants question the likelihood of these coincidences and whether they are purely random or have some underlying explanation. The conversation also mentions the many known series for pi and the possibility of finding a way to calculate pi to any decimal place or prove it can be expressed as a ratio.
Boorglar
By chance I stumbled on this "almost" equality:

[itex]\frac{1}{5}(1/2+2/3+3/4+4/5+5/6+6/7+7/8+8/9+9/10) ≈ √2 - 7.2×10^{-6}[/itex]

I'm just wondering, are these funny coincidences simply, well, coincidences :biggrin: or is there some kind of explanation?
I've see a ton of other funny stuff like [itex]e^{\pi} - {\pi}≈19.99909998[/itex].
How likely is it for a relatively simple expression involving unrelated constants to work out almost nicely? Is it actually easy to come up with these meaningless things?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's very likely. Now, if someone could by chance stumble upon a way to calculate pi to any decimal place (i,e, whoever runs the equation can calculate pi to as many decimal places as he pleases) or prove us all wrong by showing that pi can be expressed as a ratio, that would be great.

moonman239 said:
I don't think it's very likely. Now, if someone could by chance stumble upon a way to calculate pi to any decimal place (i,e, whoever runs the equation can calculate pi to as many decimal places as he pleases) or prove us all wrong by showing that pi can be expressed as a ratio, that would be great.

There are many known series for pi.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PiFormulas.html

As far as the OP's question, note that the series is divergent. It just happens to be the case that a particular partial sum is close to something else. Take one more term of the series and the coincidence disappears. It seems that would happen fairly often ... it's not as big a coincidence as some series or expression actually converging close to something else, like the ones here ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_coincidence

Last edited:
nice I like that with [itex]e[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex]-[itex]\pi[/itex]

I accidentally found [itex]\sqrt{79}=8.888194417...[/itex] which I like to say/present as [itex]\sqrt{69+10}[/itex] but I don't think these things are coincidental , probably we have a lot more to learn.

moonman239 said:

∏=[itex]\frac{c}{d}[/itex] :cool:

Related to A close approximation for square root of 2.

1. What is a close approximation for square root of 2?

The most commonly used close approximation for square root of 2 is 1.41421356237.

2. How is the close approximation for square root of 2 calculated?

The close approximation for square root of 2 is usually calculated using the Babylonian method, which involves repeatedly taking the average of a number and its reciprocal until the desired accuracy is achieved.

3. How accurate is the close approximation for square root of 2?

The close approximation for square root of 2 is accurate up to 10 decimal places. This means that the calculated value is extremely close to the actual square root of 2, which is an irrational number.

4. Can the close approximation for square root of 2 be simplified?

Yes, the close approximation for square root of 2 can be simplified by rounding off the decimal places. However, this will result in a slightly less accurate value.

5. How is the close approximation for square root of 2 useful in mathematics?

The close approximation for square root of 2 is often used in mathematical calculations and equations where the exact value of square root of 2 is not needed. It is also used in computer programs to efficiently calculate the square root of 2.