A clarification in linear algebra

In summary, the book claims that the following subset of R^3 is a subspace: (s-2t, s, t+s) / s, t ε R
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

This is a general question in linear algebra

Determine whether the following subset of R^3 is a subspace

The elements go vertically but I can't show them in this way and will show them horizontally however.

( s-2t, s, t+s ) / s, t ε R ...

Homework Equations

The book attempt to show closure under addition and multiplication

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it possible to use another argument. I claim that these three elements can be divided into two vectors which are also subsets of R-3 ... They are the span of (1,1,1)(-2,0,1).. Since they are lin. independent, they are vector spaces?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ehabmozart! :wink:
ehabmozart said:
I claim that these three elements can be divided into two vectors which are also subsets of R-3 ... They are the span of (1,1,1)(-2,0,1).. Since they are lin. independent, they are vector spaces?

you're saying that anything of the form ( s-2t, s, t+s ) is s(1,1,1) + t(-2,0,1) and vice versa

so yes, if you've already proved the relevant theorems (which if you're still on page 1 of the chapter, you haven't!), that does immediately prove they are a vector subspace :smile:

Hi, you might want to think about it this way:

Suppose you have the set:

[itex](a_1s + b_1t, a_2s + b_2t, a_3s + b_3t): s, t \in R[/itex]

Where the a's and b's are any constants. Is this set a subspace? Try showing closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

Then, you might want to consider a mapping, L, from [itex]R^2 to R^3[/itex]

[itex]L(s, t) = (a_1s + b_1t, a_2s + b_2t, a_3s + b_3t)[/itex]

Then, you might want to consider what sort of mapping this is and how L could be represented.

Then, you might look at your original problem in new light.

Interesting? Or, not?

tiny-tim said:
hi ehabmozart! :wink:

you're saying that anything of the form ( s-2t, s, t+s ) is s(1,1,1) + t(-2,0,1) and vice versa

so yes, if you've already proved the relevant theorems (which if you're still on page 1 of the chapter, you haven't!), that does immediately prove they are a vector subspace :smile:

Excuse me, what are the relevant theorems you are talking about?

PeroK said:
Hi, you might want to think about it this way:

Suppose you have the set:

[itex](a_1s + b_1t, a_2s + b_2t, a_3s + b_3t): s, t \in R[/itex]

Where the a's and b's are any constants. Is this set a subspace? Try showing closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

Then, you might want to consider a mapping, L, from [itex]R^2 to R^3[/itex]

[itex]L(s, t) = (a_1s + b_1t, a_2s + b_2t, a_3s + b_3t)[/itex]

Then, you might want to consider what sort of mapping this is and how L could be represented.

Then, you might look at your original problem in new light.

Interesting? Or, not?

I am sorry but I don't your point here... Please clarify!

I assume you've done matrices? If so, you might notice that the original set can be seen as the action of the matrix:

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}
1&-2\\
1&0\\
1&1\\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

On vectors (s, t). And, those columns should look familiar!

Last edited:
ehabmozart said:
Excuse me, what are the relevant theorems you are talking about?

direct sum of two linear spaces is a linear space?

ehabmozart said:

Homework Statement

This is a general question in linear algebra

Determine whether the following subset of R^3 is a subspace

The elements go vertically but I can't show them in this way and will show them horizontally however.

( s-2t, s, t+s ) / s, t ε R ...

Homework Equations

The book attempt to show closure under addition and multiplication

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it possible to use another argument. I claim that these three elements can be divided into two vectors which are also subsets of R-3 ... They are the span of (1,1,1)(-2,0,1).. Since they are lin. independent, they are vector spaces?
Yes. What your are saying is the set of all vectors of the form (s- 2t, s, t+s)= s(1, 1, 1)+ t(-2, 0, 1) is the span of vectors (1, 1, 1) and (-2, 0, 1) and so is a vector space.

(The span of any set of vectors is a vector space. The fact that those two vectors are independent tells you that this is a two dimensional subspace of [itex]R^3[/itex] and that {(1, 1, 1) (-2, 0, 1)} is a basis.)

Related to A clarification in linear algebra

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representation through vectors and matrices. It involves the analysis of linear transformations and their properties.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science to model and solve real-world problems. It provides a powerful framework for representing and solving complex systems of equations.

3. What is a clarification in linear algebra?

A clarification in linear algebra refers to a further explanation or interpretation of a concept or problem in the subject. It helps to understand the underlying principles and techniques used in solving problems.

4. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of linear algebra. You can also seek clarification from experts, attend workshops or lectures, and work on various exercises and problems to strengthen your skills.

5. What are some common mistakes in linear algebra?

Some common mistakes in linear algebra include errors in calculations, confusion between vectors and matrices, and incorrect application of theorems and properties. It is important to pay attention to details and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.