A Book on Methods of Integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a comprehensive book on integration and special functions, particularly Bessel functions, for use in perturbative QFT. The mention of Ryzhik, a commonly used reference, leads to a discussion on the completeness of the book and the idea of a "Bible" for a subject. Suggestions for alternative resources are also mentioned.
Moayd Shagaf
Is there a book that can teach me every single method of integration (except Ryzhik) and Special Functions (Bessel,Hermite,Legendre ,Spherical Harmonics). since I'll be use it in QFT ,It will be very useful to have strong in Bessel Functions and Others Functions and Integrals.

Physics news on Phys.org
if it isn't in Ryzhik, it pretty much can't be done analytically...

Dr Transport said:
if it isn't in Ryzhik, it pretty much can't be done analytically...
Is Ryzhik Complete?

Dr Transport said:
about as complete as anything I have ever found...
Then Ok, Thanks I'll go with it! since it a complete guide to Bessel F.

I've no clue, what "complete" means. For perturbative QFT the single most important functions is the ##\Gamma## function and all kinds of dilogarithms like Spence's functions.

vanhees71 said:
I've no clue, what "complete" means.
That's a frequent mistake of beginners, in anything. They want to have a single book (a "Bible") which contains all one needs to know about the given subject. But there is never such a book, on anything.

Likes Vriska and vanhees71
there is a book of M.A.ABRAMWITZ handbook of mathematical function and G.N.WATSON t

Likes Kninfinite and Moayd Shagaf
This is a large collection of methods and results: " Inside Interesting Integrals " of Paul J. Nahin, Springer.
Ssnow

Likes Moayd Shagaf
Ssnow said:
This is a large collection of methods and results: " Inside Interesting Integrals " of Paul J. Nahin, Springer.
Ssnow
zaheymae said:
there is a book of M.A.ABRAMWITZ handbook of mathematical function and G.N.WATSON t
Thanks Guys

zaheymae said:
there is a book of M.A.ABRAMWITZ handbook of mathematical function

Hmmm ... there are two authors of this book. You spelled the name of one of the authors incorrectly and neglected the other author completely (shades of Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu, and Laloe).

There are links to free legal copies of Abramowitz and Stegun at the bottom of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abramowitz_and_Stegun

Likes Moayd Shagaf
George Jones said:
Hmmm ... there are two authors of this book. You spelled the name of one of the authors incorrectly and neglected the other author completely (shades of Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu, and Laloe).

There are links to free legal copies of Abramowitz and Stegun at the bottom of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abramowitz_and_Stegun
Thanks George, I think this is best thing that having a free book like that.

Related to A Book on Methods of Integration

1. What is "A Book on Methods of Integration" about?

"A Book on Methods of Integration" is a comprehensive guide that explores various techniques used for solving integrals in mathematics. It covers a wide range of methods, from basic integration rules to more advanced techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitutions, and partial fractions.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is intended for anyone interested in learning about methods of integration, including students, teachers, and professionals in the fields of mathematics, physics, engineering, and other related sciences.

3. How is this book different from other books on integration?

This book provides a comprehensive coverage of various integration techniques in one place, making it a valuable resource for students and professionals. It also includes numerous examples, exercises, and practice problems to help readers understand and apply the concepts effectively.

4. Can this book be used as a textbook for a course on integration?

Yes, this book can be used as a textbook for a course on integration. It is organized in a logical and easy-to-follow manner, making it suitable for both self-study and classroom use. It also includes review questions and answers at the end of each chapter for further practice.

5. Is prior knowledge of calculus required to understand this book?

Yes, a basic understanding of calculus is necessary to fully understand the concepts presented in this book. However, the book also includes a brief review of fundamental calculus concepts at the beginning, making it accessible to readers with a basic understanding of mathematics.