Young's Mod and Spring Constant of a disk

I hope this helps you in solving your problem.In summary, the problem at hand is to find the proper thickness of a disk to achieve a total system resonance of 110Hz. This can be done by using equations for a spring-mass system, Hooke's law, and Young's modulus, and incorporating the variables of material (Young's modulus) and disk thickness. The equation for the thickness of a disk is also provided to help in finding the required thickness for a given material and desired natural frequency.
TC9333
[SOLVED] Young's Mod and Spring Constant of a disk

Hello, I am trying to find the proper thickness of a disk. In the center of the disk I will attach a steel rod which holds a certain fixed mass. The disk must be a fixed diameter and it can be any reasonable material or thickness. I would like to use something like aluminum.
Knowing the Diameter of the disk, mass of the attached wieght, and assuming I have access to any material and it's young's modulus...
I need to find a material and a material thickness that will result in a total system resonance of 110Hz.

So I have a spring-mass system with a set mass, needed resonance, and variables of Material(young's) and Disk thickness with which to find.

This is not a homework problem. I am an engineer (obviously not an experienced one) who is having a brain block. Any usable help (an equation relating all my variables) will be rewarded (if you send me a private email w/name and address).

Thanks a lot.
TC9333

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello TC9333,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. This seems like an interesting and challenging engineering problem. I would approach this problem by first setting up the equations for a spring-mass system and then incorporating the variables of material (Young's modulus) and disk thickness.

The equation for the natural frequency of a spring-mass system is given by:

f = 1/2π√(k/m)

Where f is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the attached weight.

To find the spring constant, we can use Hooke's law which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement:

F = -kx

Where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

Now, let's incorporate the variables of material (Young's modulus) and disk thickness. The equation for Young's modulus is:

E = (F/A)/(ΔL/L)

Where E is the Young's modulus, F is the force applied, A is the cross-sectional area of the material, ΔL is the change in length, and L is the original length.

Using this equation, we can find the spring constant, k, by rearranging Hooke's law:

k = F/x

Substituting the equation for Young's modulus into this, we get:

k = (E*A/x)/L

Since we know the desired natural frequency, we can substitute this into the equation for natural frequency and solve for the spring constant:

110 = 1/2π√((E*A/x)/L)/m

Solving for x, we get:

x = 2π√(mL/110E*A)

Now, we can use this value of x to find the required thickness of the disk. The equation for the thickness of a disk is:

t = (m*g)/(π*r^2*ρ)

Where t is the thickness, m is the mass of the attached weight, g is the acceleration due to gravity, r is the radius of the disk, and ρ is the density of the material.

Substituting the value of x into this equation, we get:

t = (m*g)/(π*r^2*ρ*(2π√(mL/110E*A)))

Using this equation, you can find the required thickness of the disk for a given

Related to Young's Mod and Spring Constant of a disk

What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is defined as the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in a material, within the limit of its elastic deformation.

What is the formula for calculating Young's Modulus?

The formula for calculating Young's Modulus is E = σ/ε, where E is the Young's Modulus, σ is the stress, and ε is the strain.

What is the significance of Young's Modulus in materials science?

Young's Modulus is an important property of materials as it helps to determine their ability to resist deformation under stress. It is commonly used in engineering and construction to select materials that can withstand the forces they will be subjected to.

What is the spring constant of a disk?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, of a disk is a measure of its stiffness when subjected to a force. It is defined as the force required to stretch or compress the disk by a unit length.

How do you calculate the spring constant of a disk?

The spring constant of a disk can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting change in length or displacement. It can also be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement of the object.