A biconditional statement for arc length of a function

In summary, the statement to be proven is that for a natural parametrization, the length of the curve from \gamma(a) to \gamma(s) is s - a, which is equivalent to \int ^{s}_{a} \left| \gamma ' (t) \right| dt = s - a.
stripes

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]\gamma : [a, b] \rightarrow \Re^{2}[/itex] is a parameterization of [itex]\Gamma[/itex] if and only if the length of the curve from [itex]\gamma(a)[/itex] to [itex]\gamma(s)[/itex] is [itex]s - a[/itex]; i.e.,

[itex]

\int ^{s}_{a} \left| \gamma ' (t) \right| dt = s - a.

[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1; show [itex]\left| \gamma ' (s) \right| = 1 \Rightarrow \int ^{s}_{a} \left| \gamma ' (t) \right| dt = s - a.[/itex]

We have

[itex]

\ell = \int ^{b}_{a} \left| \gamma ' (t) \right| dt = \int ^{b}_{a} \left| \gamma ' (s(t)) s'(t) \right| dt = \int ^{b}_{a} \left| \gamma ' (s(t))\right| \left| s'(t) \right| dt = \int ^{\ell}_{0} \left| \gamma ' (s) \right| ds = \int ^{\ell}_{0} 1 ds = s(\ell) - s(0) = s - a.

[/itex]

My question here is: did I do the change of variables correctly? Specifically in the limits of integration?

Now how do I prove the converse; i.e., how do I show that [itex]\int ^{s}_{a} \left| \gamma ' (t) \right| dt = s - a \Rightarrow \left| \gamma ' (s) \right| = 1 ?[/itex]

[itex]\int ^{s}_{a} \left| \gamma ' (t) \right| dt [/itex]
[itex]= \int ^{s}_{a} \sqrt{x'(t)^{2} + y'(t)^{2} } dt [/itex]
[itex]= \int ^{s}_{a} \sqrt{ (x'(s(t)) s'(t) )^{2} + (y'(s(t)) s'(t) )^{2} } dt [/itex]
[itex]= \int ^{s}_{a} \sqrt{ s'(t)^{2} (x'(s)^{2} + y'(s)^{2}) } dt [/itex]
[itex]= \int ^{s}_{a} s'(t) \sqrt{ (x'(s)^{2} + y'(s)^{2}) } dt [/itex]
[itex]= \int ^{s}_{t=a} \sqrt{ (x'(s)^{2} + y'(s)^{2}) } ds[/itex]
[itex]= \int ^{s}_{t=a} \left| \gamma' (s) \right| ds = s - a[/itex]
[itex]= \frac{d}{ds}(\int ^{s}_{t=a} \left| \gamma' (s) \right| ds)[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{d}{ds}(s - a)[/itex]
[itex] = 1 - 0 = 1[/itex]

so [itex]1 = \left| \gamma' (s) \right| .[/itex]

or is that garbage?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stripes said:
Show that [itex]\gamma : [a, b] \rightarrow \Re^{2}[/itex] is a parameterization of [itex]\Gamma[/itex] if and only if the length of the curve from [itex]\gamma(a)[/itex] to [itex]\gamma(s)[/itex] is [itex]s - a[/itex]; i.e.,

[itex]

\int ^{s}_{a} \left| \gamma ' (t) \right| dt = s - a.

[/itex]

This statement is incorrect. Is it supposed to be "natural parametrization" rather than just "parametrization?

I do believe that the statement I am to prove is correct. I have copied it directly out of my text. My instructor says my proof is complete. I'm not sure what you meant.

And it is natural parametrization.

The statement is correct only if it is about natural parametrization. It is not correct for an arbitrary parametrization.

Oh my bad. I failed to mention that in my

Related to A biconditional statement for arc length of a function

1. What is a biconditional statement for arc length of a function?

A biconditional statement for arc length of a function is a mathematical statement that connects two conditions using the logical operator "if and only if." It states that the arc length of a function is equal to the integral of the absolute value of the derivative of that function, if and only if the function is continuous.

2. How is a biconditional statement for arc length of a function different from a conditional statement?

A conditional statement only states that one condition is true if another condition is met. A biconditional statement, on the other hand, states that two conditions are true if and only if the other is also true.

3. What is the importance of using a biconditional statement for arc length of a function in mathematics?

A biconditional statement for arc length of a function is important because it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for determining the arc length of a function. It helps to simplify mathematical calculations and allows for a more precise understanding of the relationship between a function and its arc length.

4. Can a biconditional statement for arc length of a function be written in any other form?

Yes, a biconditional statement for arc length of a function can also be written using the logical equivalence symbol "≡," which indicates that the two conditions are equivalent.

5. Are there any real-world applications of biconditional statements for arc length of a function?

Yes, biconditional statements for arc length of a function have real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are used in the calculation of distances, velocities, and other physical quantities that involve curves and functions.