Mars rocks and Ancient Constructions?

• Thread starter HAL 9000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Rocks
In summary: I think that this is all that should be said about this, it is a waste of good forum space to talk about Hoagland. You can use the search function to find other threads about him, and consider the few posts in this thread to be a waste of good forum space. In case you can't tell, I am not a fan of Hoagland, and I don't think that he has anything worthwhile to say about astronomy.Originally posted by Nereid I think that this is all that should be said about this, it is a waste of good forum space to talk about Hoagland.
HAL 9000
Listening to Richard Hoagland on late night radio and
visiting his website : www.enterprisemission.com I see
a lot of pictures of the planet Mars and lately a few
shots taken of the Mars landscape showing a lot of rocks
and Mars soil...only he claims these "Rocks" are possibly
ancient remains of fish or animals. It's too early to
tell for sure but Hoagland has a book out where he claims
that pictures taken of Mars show the remains of ancient
cities and constructions built by unknown beings. He is
convinced that a "Face" is a sculptured construction and
not just a hill worn by dust storms and tricks of light.
Near to the "Face" are pyramid shaped buildings or are
they just ancient wind worn hills?

What do you think? Is he just trying to get people to
buy and read his book or is he on to something? And what
about his belief that ancient constructions exist on our
Moon? He claims he can see ancient towers and glass domes
on the moon. Some say that NASA air brushes pictures of
the Moon and from other places to keep UFOs and other odd
things from the public. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by HAL 9000

What do you think? Is he just trying to get people to
buy and read his book or is he on to something?

I don't think either of those, or not exactly. The first, "is he just trying to get people to buy and read his book", may be close to accurate. However, I get the definite sense that he actually believes (at least to some degree) the claims he is making. The other possibility; "is he on to something?", I find highly unlikely. I have seen rocks shaped by wind and whether right here on Earth that resemble various things far more closely than the so-called "face on Mars" resembles a face.

I suspect that he half-believes these claims, but it is a belief born more out of convenience than conviction. I think he "chooses to believe" these ideas so that he can broadcast them publicly and get attention.

Last edited:
I think this post belongs in Skepticism and Debunking:wink:

Most guests and members of PF can make up their own minds about the degree to which various formations, rocks, etc on Mars and the Moon resemble fish, faces, Disneyland, or Richard Hoagland's big toe ... go to the various websites with the piccies and see for yourselves (you can even get the raw data files and do your own processing with Photoshop or whatever).

"Some say that NASA air brushes pictures of the Moon and from other places to keep UFOs and other odd things from the public" How does one deal with this kind of thing? [?]

Welcome HAL 9000.

Originally posted by Nereid
I think this post belongs in Skepticism and Debunking:wink:

Most definitely. I'll beam it there now. I'll try to return soon & discuss it. For now, let me simply say Hoagland =

Originally posted by HAL 9000
...landscape showing a lot of rocks
and Mars soil...only he claims these "Rocks" are possibly
ancient remains of fish or animals.

I find this hard to believe, the distance seems too great to make any sort of reasonable assumption (if telescopes are used). Its kind of like trying to find a penny from ten miles away using nothing but binoculars.

Originally posted by motai
I find this hard to believe, the distance seems too great to make any sort of reasonable assumption (if telescopes are used). Its kind of like trying to find a penny from ten miles away using nothing but binoculars.

I took a peak at the images in question, and they are those pics of the Mars rocks found in the Arctic. You might remember the fuss a few years ago when these rocks were examined under an electron microscope and shapes that resemble microorganisms were discovered.

After a good long look and a bit of head-scratching, NASA held a press coference and showed the pics to the public saying, "these look similar to fossilised microorganisms, but we're still looking for other explanations". It is perhaps this press conference to which Hoagy referrs when he says that the photos were "leaked" (that's one heck of a leak; if NASA doesn't get that plugged soon, they'll explosively decompress!).

Related to Mars rocks and Ancient Constructions?

1. What are the types of rocks found on Mars?

There are three main types of rocks found on Mars: igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. Igneous rocks are formed from magma or lava, while sedimentary rocks are created from the accumulation of sediments. Metamorphic rocks are formed when existing rocks undergo intense heat and pressure.

2. How old are the rocks found on Mars?

The rocks found on Mars range in age from about 4.5 billion years old to less than 3.7 billion years old. This indicates that Mars was geologically active in its early years, but has since become relatively dormant.

3. What evidence suggests that Mars had ancient constructions?

There is geological evidence of river valleys, lakebeds, and deltas on Mars that suggest the presence of water in the past. Additionally, satellite imagery has revealed structures that appear to be man-made, such as the famous "Face on Mars" and other pyramid-like formations.

4. How do scientists determine the composition of Mars rocks?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to analyze the composition of Mars rocks, including spectrometers, X-ray diffraction, and mass spectrometry. These instruments can identify the minerals and elements present in the rocks.

5. What is the significance of finding ancient constructions on Mars?

The discovery of ancient constructions on Mars would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the potential for life beyond Earth. It could also provide insights into the history and evolution of the planet, and potentially reveal clues about the possibility of past or present extraterrestrial civilizations.