6 part 2 loop RLC circuit complex impedance

In summary: You could let each component have a symbolic impedance, say z1, z2,...z6, then write the KVL equations for the two loops and solve for the loop currents in terms of an assumed input voltage v and the z's. That will put you on track to find the individual component voltages since you'll have both of the loop currents. Once you plug in the component impedances for the z's you'll still have the task of separating out real and imaginary bits, but at least the denominators will consist of a sum of products of the z's taken pairwise, so they'll be easy to sort out in terms of real or imaginary.
froldy

Homework Statement

I'm trying to determine this insane circuit's |Z| so I can use an AC voltage to find the current as a function of time.

This is my circuit (the switch is closed, and ignore the values): http://i.imgur.com/mA55I.png

Homework Equations

Impedances for each of the RLC components

The Attempt at a Solution

Here, I make an equation for the total impedance, then tried to separate real and imaginary parts. First is the stuff on the bottom, and then the separation is on the top. The stuff in the big parentheses is the imaginary part. http://i.imgur.com/KArxr.jpg

So have I done it right? Any tips to make multiplying that behemoth by its complex conjugate any easier? I'm quite worried I did some fundamental thing wrong. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your life may be made considerably easier if you happen to know the AC voltage source's frequency. Then you can manipulate the numerical values of the resistances and reactances and the algebra won't spiral out of control :smile:

gneill said:
Your life may be made considerably easier if you happen to know the AC voltage source's frequency. Then you can manipulate the numerical values of the resistances and reactances and the algebra won't spiral out of control :smile:

Arg, I would but I need it in terms of variables :(

froldy said:
Arg, I would but I need it in terms of variables :(

Argh. You have my sympathies. :smile:

Okay, I'll make a few suggestion if I may.

First, let c1 = 1/C1, c2 = 1/C2. Also let s = jω so that s2 = -ω2. This makes ZC1 = -s*c1 and ZC2 = -s*c2.

Next, find the impedance of the subcircuit that excludes the 100Ω resistor and the 330μH inductor; Since they are in series with the subcircuit, the final impedance will just have the additional real (100Ω) and imaginary (jω330H) components tacked on in the end. You may find that determining real and imaginary parts of the subcircuit to be a less daunting task than taking the whole thing in one gulp.

gneill said:
Argh. You have my sympathies. :smile:

Okay, I'll make a few suggestion if I may.

First, let c1 = 1/C1, c2 = 1/C2. Also let s = jω so that s2 = -ω2. This makes ZC1 = -s*c1 and ZC2 = -s*c2.

Next, find the impedance of the subcircuit that excludes the 100Ω resistor and the 330μH inductor; Since they are in series with the subcircuit, the final impedance will just have the additional real (100Ω) and imaginary (jω330H) components tacked on in the end. You may find that determining real and imaginary parts of the subcircuit to be a less daunting task than taking the whole thing in one gulp.

Ok, I guess that's my only option... I still have to calculate sqrt(ZZ*) though, and then use a varying V expression to solve for current, and then use the current to find the V across each component as a function of time. Is there any easier way to do this, like with phasors or something? I have no clue how I'm going get each of the components out of that square root without spending like a month on it...

Thanks!

You could let each component have a symbolic impedance, say z1, z2,...z6, then write the KVL equations for the two loops and solve for the loop currents in terms of an assumed input voltage v and the z's. That will put you on track to find the individual component voltages since you'll have both of the loop currents.

Once you plug in the component impedances for the z's you'll still have the task of separating out real and imaginary bits, but at least the denominators will consist of a sum of products of the z's taken pairwise, so they'll be easy to sort out in terms of real or imaginary.

I don't think you'll be facing a square root. When you clear the denominator of an imaginary, you get something like:

[tex] \frac{c + id}{a + ib}*\frac{a - ib}{a - ib} = \frac{ac - bd +i(cb + ad)}{a^2 + b^2} [/tex]

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks a lot, gneill!

Related to 6 part 2 loop RLC circuit complex impedance

1. What is a 6 part 2 loop RLC circuit?

A 6 part 2 loop RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains six components: a resistor, inductor, and capacitor, each with two loops. This means that there are two paths for the current to flow through each component, resulting in a more complex circuit with multiple loops.

2. What is complex impedance?

Complex impedance is a measure of the total opposition to current flow in an AC circuit. It takes into account both the resistance and reactance of the circuit components, which can be represented using complex numbers. In a 6 part 2 loop RLC circuit, the complex impedance is influenced by the combination of six components with two loops each.

3. How is the complex impedance of a 6 part 2 loop RLC circuit calculated?

The complex impedance of a 6 part 2 loop RLC circuit can be calculated using the following formula: Z = R + (jωL) + (1/(jωC)), where R is the resistance, L is the inductance, C is the capacitance, j is the imaginary unit, and ω is the angular frequency of the AC current. This formula takes into account the resistance and reactance of all six components in the circuit.

4. What are the applications of a 6 part 2 loop RLC circuit?

6 part 2 loop RLC circuits have a wide range of applications in electrical engineering, including in filters, amplifiers, and oscillators. They can also be used in power systems to improve the stability and efficiency of the network. Additionally, they are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

5. What factors affect the complex impedance of a 6 part 2 loop RLC circuit?

The complex impedance of a 6 part 2 loop RLC circuit is affected by several factors, including the values of the resistance, inductance, and capacitance, as well as the frequency of the AC current. Any changes in these parameters can alter the overall impedance of the circuit, which can impact its performance and behavior.