Find Frequency to Minimize Impedance of RLC Circuit

In summary: Total reactance = 1/(i*ω*L)So in this case, the total reactance is 1/(i*ω*L), where ω is the angular velocity. Finding the minimum of this equation would give you the frequency at which the circuit has the least impedance.
jacksonwiley

Homework Statement

For an RLC circuit with a resistance of 13.0 kΩ a capacitance of 7.0 µF, and an inductance of 35.0 H. What frequency is needed to minimize the impedance?
A) 0.064 kHz
B) 0.010 kHz
C) 12 kHz
D) 2.1 kHz

Homework Equations

Xc = 2∏ƒL
XL = 1/ (2∏ƒC)

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm really unsure if i need to use the XL or the Xc equation?
2(3.14)*frequency*L
or 1/(2(3.14)*frequency*capacitance
i've been stuck on this one forever.. any guidance is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the circuit has both inductive and capacitive reactance, you need to use both in your calculations.

tms said:
Since the circuit has both inductive and capacitive reactance, you need to use both in your calculations.

Would i just find the difference of the two?

You would use the total reactance, which is a function of ##X_C## and ##X_L##. Then you have to do something with that equation to find the minimum.

series circuit?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
series circuit?

Yeah I think it's assumed that this is a series RLC circuit

tms said:
You would use the total reactance, which is a function of ##X_C## and ##X_L##. Then you have to do something with that equation to find the minimum.

if i set them equal to each other and then solved for frequency that would lead to the right answer, right?

jacksonwiley said:
if i set them equal to each other and then solved for frequency that would lead to the right answer, right?
Set what equal to what? There is an expression for the total reactance, given ##X_C## amd ##X_L##; you need to use that. Once you get that, how do you find a minumum?

jacksonwiley said:
magnitudes of the reactances, yes.

Are you measuring over the resistor?

Also, I'm not sure if you can do this without considering the imaginary parts of the ractances. Maybe I'm wrong.

jacksonwiley said:

Basically, yes. This comes from mapping out your transfer function and solving for the minimum reactance.

Try writing your total reactance as a function of ##X_{c}## & ## X_{L}##.

But instead of using the equations you have, use ##X_{c} = \frac{1}{i\omega c}## & ## X_{L} = IL\omega i##

with I being current, omega angular velocity, i the imaginary number, and L and c inductance and capacitance.

Or alternatively if you want to solve for frequency and not angular velocity you can later substitute ##\omega = 2\pi f##

Perhaps try plotting or sketching the impedance of the L and C on a graph. Add a line for the sum. Find where it's a minimum.

or write an equation for the curve of the sum and then find it's minimum (eg where the slope is zero). Example

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Find Frequency to Minimize Impedance of RLC Circuit

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and can be used to control the flow of electricity through the circuit.

2. How does frequency affect the impedance of an RLC circuit?

The impedance of an RLC circuit is dependent on the frequency of the input signal. At certain frequencies, the impedance will be at a minimum, meaning that the circuit will have maximum current flow and minimum resistance. This is known as the resonant frequency of the circuit.

3. Why is it important to find the frequency that minimizes impedance in an RLC circuit?

Minimizing impedance in an RLC circuit allows for maximum current flow and efficient use of the circuit. It also helps to prevent damage to the circuit components and ensures that the circuit is functioning properly.

4. How can I calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where f is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads.

5. What factors can affect the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit can be affected by the values of the components (R, L, and C), the type of circuit (series or parallel), and external factors such as temperature and humidity. Any changes to these factors can alter the resonant frequency of the circuit.