4x4 Matrix Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors

In summary: Can you clarify?In summary, the conversation discusses solving a matrix using both Gauss elimination and eigenvalues/eigenvectors. The equations for the matrix are provided and the conversation goes on to describe finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, with the values 2.2522, 8.7456, -3.4989-3.8757i, and -3.4989+3.8757i being found for the eigenvalues. However, it is unclear what the question is asking for when it says "solve the matrix" using eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Further clarification is needed to determine what specific problem is being asked to be solved.
jake96

Homework Statement

I have 4 equations.

3x+6y-5z-t=-8
6x-2y+3z+2t=13
4x-3y-z-3t=-1
5x+6y-3z+4t=-6

I have already solved this matrix using gauss elimination and found that x=1, y=2, z=5, t=-2

Now the next part of the question asks to solve the matrix using eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

Homework Equations

Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked through to find the eigenvalues and received this equation

0=L^4 - 4(L^3) - 30(L^2) - 162L + 537, where L is lander

from this I found the Eigen values
-3.4989-3.8757i
-3.4989+3.8757i

Which I am fairly confident are correct.
However I am unsure about how to continue from here and how the corresponding eigenvectors will solve the matrix.

Thanks Very Much

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that matrix A has eigenvalues [itex]\lambda_1[/itex], [itex]\lambda_2[/itex], [itex]\lambda_3[/itex], and [itex]\lambda_ 4[/itex], with corresponding eigenvectors [itex]v_1[/itex], [itex]v_2[/itex], [itex]v_3[/itex], and [itex]v_4[/itex], form the matrix P having those eigenvectors as columns and diagonal matrix D having the eigenvalues on its diagonal. Then [itex]A= PDP^{-1}[/itex]. The equation Ax= y is the same as [itex]PDP^{-1}x= y[/itex] and then [itex]DP^{-1}x= P^{1}y[/itex], [itex]P^{-1}x= D^{-1}P^{-1}y[/itex], and, finally, [itex]x= PD^{-1}P^{-1}y[/itex]. It is relatively easy to find [itex]P^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]D^{-1}[/itex] is just the diagonal matrix with the reciprocals of the diagonal elements of D on its diagonal.

Last edited by a moderator:
jake96 said:

Generally, the Greek letter lambda, λ, (not "lander") is used for the unknown eigenvalues, thus the characteristic equation is written:

λ4 - 4λ3 - 30λ2 - 162λ + 537 = 0

-3.4989-3.8757i
-3.4989+3.8757i

They are.

SteamKing said:
Generally, the Greek letter lambda, λ, (not "lander") is used for the unknown eigenvalues, thus the characteristic equation is written:

λ4 - 4λ3 - 30λ2 - 162λ + 537 = 0

They are.
thanks, my bad. for some reason everyone I work with calls it lander instead of lambda

If you are anywhere near Boston, Massachusetts, they may be saying "lamb-der"!

Likes vela
jake96 said:

Homework Statement

I have 4 equations.

3x+6y-5z-t=-8
6x-2y+3z+2t=13
4x-3y-z-3t=-1
5x+6y-3z+4t=-6

I have already solved this matrix using gauss elimination and found that x=1, y=2, z=5, t=-2

Now the next part of the question asks to solve the matrix using eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

Homework Equations

Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors

-3.4989-3.8757i
-3.4989+3.8757i

However I am unsure about how to continue from here and how the corresponding eigenvectors will solve the matrix.

Thanks Very Much

Does your question go on to explain what it means when it says "solve the matrix"? There are many things you can do with eigenvalues/eigenvectors; youcan use them to solve numerous, varied types of "problems", but I cannot figure out what problem the question is now asking you to solve.

Related to 4x4 Matrix Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors

1. What is a 4x4 matrix?

A 4x4 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers with 4 rows and 4 columns. It is used to represent a set of linear equations and can be used to solve systems of equations and perform transformations in three-dimensional space.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra. Eigenvalues are the special set of numbers that when multiplied by a matrix, give back the same vector but scaled by a factor. Eigenvectors are the corresponding set of vectors that are scaled by the eigenvalues. They are useful in understanding the behavior of linear systems and in solving differential equations.

3. How do you find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 4x4 matrix?

To find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 4x4 matrix, you first need to find the characteristic polynomial of the matrix. This is done by subtracting the identity matrix from the original matrix, taking the determinant, and setting it equal to 0. The resulting polynomial will have 4 solutions, which are the eigenvalues. To find the corresponding eigenvectors, you can use the eigenvalues to solve a system of equations.

4. Why are eigenvalues and eigenvectors important?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important because they provide insight into the behavior and properties of linear systems. They can be used to understand the stability of a system, determine the direction and magnitude of transformations, and solve differential equations. They are also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. Can a 4x4 matrix have complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Yes, a 4x4 matrix can have complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This means that the eigenvalues and eigenvectors may have imaginary components. This is common in matrices with complex entries, and can still provide valuable information about the properties of the matrix and the corresponding system.