4D angular coordinate system and corresponding hypervolume element

In summary, we discussed different coordinate systems for higher dimensions, including 4-D spherical coordinates which involve four angles and a radius. The corresponding hypervolume element can be computed using these coordinates. While "4-D spherical coordinates" may not be a widely established term, they are the same as those described as "hyperspherical coordinates" on Wikipedia. It is unclear what the standard term for these coordinates is in the 4-D case.
areslagae
I am looking for a 4D angular coordinate system (radius and three angles) and its corresponding "hypervolume element".

2D: polar coordinates - dA = r dr dtheta
3D: spherical coordinates - dV = r^2 sin(phi) dphi dtheta dr
4D: ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
4-D spherical coordinates:

x1 = r sin(theta1) sin(theta2) cos(phi)
x2 = r sin(theta1) sin(theta2) sin(phi)
x3 = r sin(theta1) cos(theta2)
x4 = r cos(theta1)

from which you can compute the hypervolume element.

Thanks.

Is "4-D spherical coordinates" established terminology?
Is this the "standard" transformation? I guess there are other ones?

areslagae said:
Thanks.

Is "4-D spherical coordinates" established terminology?
Is this the "standard" transformation? I guess there are other ones?

I just checked wikipedia. There, the generalization to arbitrary dimension is called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersphere#Hyperspherical_coordinates". They are the same that I gave you in the 4-D case except for the order of the coordinates.
I don't know what the standard term in the case n=4 is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to 4D angular coordinate system and corresponding hypervolume element

1. What is a 4D angular coordinate system?

A 4D angular coordinate system is a mathematical system that allows for the representation of four-dimensional space, which includes three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height) and one temporal dimension (time). In this system, each point is defined by four coordinates, typically denoted by (x, y, z, t).

2. How does a 4D angular coordinate system differ from a 3D coordinate system?

In a 4D angular coordinate system, there is an additional dimension (time) that allows for the representation of changes over time. This means that in addition to the three spatial dimensions, the coordinate system also includes a temporal dimension, allowing for a more comprehensive understanding of events and phenomena.

3. What is a hypervolume element in a 4D angular coordinate system?

A hypervolume element is a mathematical concept that represents the infinitesimal volume in a four-dimensional space. It is analogous to a three-dimensional volume element but accounts for the additional dimension in a 4D angular coordinate system. It is denoted by dV or dV4D.

4. How is a hypervolume element calculated in a 4D angular coordinate system?

In a 4D angular coordinate system, the hypervolume element is calculated by multiplying the infinitesimal changes in each of the four coordinates (dx, dy, dz, and dt). This can be represented mathematically as dV = dx * dy * dz * dt. The resulting hypervolume element is a four-dimensional measure of the volume in space and time.

5. What are the applications of a 4D angular coordinate system and hypervolume element in science?

A 4D angular coordinate system and corresponding hypervolume element have various applications in different scientific fields. For example, in physics, it is used to study the behavior of particles in four-dimensional space-time. In biology, it can be used to analyze the growth and development of organisms over time. Additionally, it has applications in engineering, computer graphics, and many other areas of research.