400kJ of work is exerted to reduce a car's velocity

But your work and algebra are correct. In summary, the problem statement asks for the mass of a car given its initial and final velocities and the amount of work required to decrease its velocity. Using the equation for kinetic energy, the mass of the car is found to be 1185kg. The use of force and displacement is not necessary in this scenario.
WannabeEngineer
Problem Statement: 4*10^5 Joules of work is required to reduce a car's velocity from 30m/s to 15m/s. What is the car's mass?

Relevant equations: Ke=.5*m*v^2

The attempt at a solution:

V1 = 30m/s
V2 = 15m/s
M = mass of car

.5*M*V1^2 - 4*10^5J = .5*M*V2^2

450M - 4*10^5J = 112.5M

-4*10^2 = -337.5M
1185kg = M

My Question: My algebra checks out I think, my only question is if I approached the problem correctly. The question is phrased in terms of work, so do I need to find force and displacement? Or is using the equation for kinetic energy acceptable?

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Using KE is fine. You cannot readily use force and displacement because you have no idea how the force varies over time. It can be done, but it's unnecessary extra work.
It does bother me a bit that the question says a positive quantity of work has to be done to reduce the car's speed. It should be a negative quantity, of course.

Related to 400kJ of work is exerted to reduce a car's velocity

1. What is meant by "400kJ of work" in this context?

In this context, "400kJ of work" refers to the amount of energy that is required in order to reduce the velocity of a car by a certain amount.

2. How is work measured in scientific terms?

Work is measured in joules (J) in scientific terms. One joule is equal to the amount of work required to move an object with a force of one newton (N) a distance of one meter (m).

3. How is work related to velocity?

In physics, work is defined as the product of force and displacement. In this scenario, the force being applied is causing a change in the car's velocity, which is a measure of its speed and direction. Therefore, the work being exerted is causing a change in the car's velocity.

4. How does reducing a car's velocity require work?

In order for an object to change its velocity, a force must be applied to it. In this case, the brakes of the car are applying a force to reduce its velocity, and this force is causing a change in the car's motion. This requires work to be done.

5. What are some factors that can affect the amount of work required to reduce a car's velocity?

The amount of work required to reduce a car's velocity can be affected by factors such as the mass of the car, the speed at which it is traveling, and the type of brakes being used. Additionally, external factors such as friction and air resistance can also impact the amount of work required.