3x3 Matrix Differential Equations

In summary, the student attempted to solve a system of differential equations but apparently made a mistake in calculating the eigenvectors.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to the system of differential equations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I uploaded the original equation and my work so see the attachment. I want to know how they got the vectors the got typically when I have done 2x2 systems I row reduce them and then use the top row that is left over and get the transverse and that is my vector however this did not work this time, what do I do?

Attachments

• EPSON001.jpg
    EPSON001.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
From my understanding, you need to find the eigenvector/s corresponding to each eigenvalue and the required answer is the sum of the basis vectors (eigenvectors) within the matrix containing all the eigenvectors. The constants, a, b and c are real constant multiples (can take any value) of the eigvenvectors.

Ok but how did they get the answers they got because I am getting totally opposite

OK, i can confirm your eigenvalues are correct: 0, 3 and 1.

For eigenvalue = 0, i get the same eigenvector as in the expected answer: (1,1,1)^T

What i did was reduce the matrix with that eigenvalue = 0, and found the special solution (using linear algebra, it's the nullspace).

Now, for the other two eigenvalues, i would expect to get the rest of the answers.

You have clearly miscalculated the eigenvectors.

For eigenvalue = 3, i get the eigenvector: (1, -2, 1)^T.

For eigenvalue = 1, i get the eigenvector: (-1, 0, 1)^T, which is equivalent (multiply by scalar value of -1) to (1, 0, -1)^T.

Since there is a multiple of e^t involved with the eigenvectors, i assume that you have not posted the entire problem.

Note: If you are familiar with finding the nullspace in linear algebra, you should be able to work it out. Also, in your work you take the trace of the matrix as λ-{value} but i guess it's just a matter of different method, since i personally use {value}-λ as the trace elements of the matrix. I guess either way you'll get the same results, since you were able to get the same eigenvalues.

Last edited:
ok cool I think I can get it now ill let you know soon.

If a 3 by 3 matrix has three independent eigenvectors, then it can be "diagonalized". Here, the eigenvalues are, as you say, 0, 1, and 3. An eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 0 is <1, 1, 1>, an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 1 is <-1, 0, 1>, and an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 3 is <1, -2, 1>. The matrix having those eigenvectors as columns is
[tex]P= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & -2 \\ 1 & 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and its inverse is
[tex]P^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix}-\frac{1}{2} & 0 & \frac{1}{2}\\ \frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{3} \\ \frac{1}{6} & -\frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{6}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and now it is easy to check that
[tex]D= P^{-1}AP= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
the diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues on the diagonal.

Now go back to Y'= AY, the differerential equation. We can multiply both sides, on the left, by [itex]P^{-1}[/itex] to get [itex]P^{-1}Y'= P^{-1}AY[/itex]. And, since P has only constant entries, and [itex]PP^{-1}= I[/itex], we can write that as [itex](P^{-1}Y)'= P^{-1}APP^{-1}Y= D(P^{-1}Y)[/itex] or, letting [itex]z= P^{-1}Y[/itex], [itex]z'= Dz[/itex] which is just
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}z_1(t) \\ z_2(t) \\ z_3(t)\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}z_1(t) \\ z_2(t) \\ z_3(t)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which is equivalent to the three separate equations [itex]z_1'= z_1[/itex], [itex]z_2'= 0[/itex], and [itex] z_3'= 3z_3[/itex] which, of course, have solutions [itex]z_1(t)= C_1e^t[/itex], [itex]z_2= C_2[/itex], [itex]z_3= C_3e^{3t}[/itex].

Now, because [itex]Z= P^{-1}Y[/itex], [itex]Y= PZ[/itex] just multiply
[tex]Y= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & -2 \\ 1 & 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}C_1e^t \\ C_2 \\ C_3e^{3t}\end{bmatrix}[/tex] to get
[itex]y_1(t)= -C_1e^t+ C_2+ C_3e^{3t}[/itex]
[itex]y_2(t)= C_2- 2C_3e^{3t}[/itex] and
[itex]y_3(t)= C_1e^t+ C_2+ C_3e^{3t}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to 3x3 Matrix Differential Equations

1. What is a 3x3 matrix differential equation?

A 3x3 matrix differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves matrices and their derivatives. It is typically written in the form of X'(t) = A(t)X(t), where X is a vector of functions and A is a time-dependent 3x3 matrix. Solving this type of equation involves finding functions that satisfy this relationship.

2. What are some applications of 3x3 matrix differential equations?

3x3 matrix differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve dynamic systems. Some specific applications include population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

3. How do you solve a 3x3 matrix differential equation?

To solve a 3x3 matrix differential equation, you can use techniques such as matrix exponentials, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and variation of parameters. It is also important to have a strong understanding of linear algebra and differential equations.

4. Can a 3x3 matrix differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix differential equation can have multiple solutions. In fact, it is common for a system to have an infinite number of solutions. This is because there can be an infinite number of functions that satisfy the relationship X'(t) = A(t)X(t).

5. What are some challenges in solving 3x3 matrix differential equations?

Solving 3x3 matrix differential equations can be challenging due to their complex nature and the involvement of multiple variables and functions. It can also be difficult to determine the initial conditions and find an exact solution, leading to the need for numerical methods. Additionally, the behavior of solutions for these equations can be unpredictable and sensitive to small changes in initial conditions.