3D Surfaces - Equation Formed When Rotating a 2D Line About an Axis?

In summary, the discussion on Physics Forums involved determining the equation of the surface formed when the line x=3y is rotated about the x-axis. The solution involved converting the equation to y=1/3x and using this to find the equation of a circle in the y-z plane with radius |x/3|. This resulted in the equation y^2 + z^2 = (x^2 / 9) for a cone with two parts, or "nappes". The group also discussed the friendly atmosphere on the forum and the helpfulness of members in checking calculations.
dt_
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to Physics Forums but it seems like a fairly friendly community. :)

Homework Statement

Determine the equation of the surface formed when the line x=3y is rotated about the x-axis.

Homework Equations

x=3y is the given line.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I write it in terms of x because it's simpler: [tex]y = \frac{1}{3} x[/tex]

The slope is 1/3, thus, and you have a diagonal line that passes through the origin in a 2-D graph with the X-Y plane.

Now, if you rotate this about the X-axis, you see you get a sort of cone. rather, two cones, one for each side of the y-axis ; these two cones have their tops(tips) facing each other.

How, though, can I determine an equation for the cone? I know there is a generic equation that involves x,y,z variables and a,b,c constants (I think it's something like.. [tex](x-a)^{2} + (y-b)^{2} = (z-c)^{2}[/tex] )

but what do I plug in for the variables and constants? I think I need to substitute [tex]\frac{x}{3}[/tex] for [tex] x [/tex] , or maybe with one of the other variables (y or z) but I'm not sure where and how.

If anyone could help me on this I would very much appreciate it. Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are SOO dumb! Oh, wait, we're friendly! :) Just kidding. The absolute value of y at any point x determines the radius of the circle in the y-z plane with center at y=0, z=0, right? So what's the equation of such a circle in y-z with radius |x/3|?

[tex]| \frac{x}{3} | ^{2} = \frac{x^{2}}{9} [/tex]

so the r^2 in x^2 + y^2 = r^2 is equal to (x^2) / 9

and..

the equation of the circle is
y^2 + z^2 = (x^2 / 9)

but that's a.. cone? i think?

which would make sense

does that seem right?

That looks good to me.

A cone, in the mathematical sense, has two parts. Each one is a "nappe" of the cone.

Thanks Dick. :)

HallsOfIvy: Not quite getting that, but do you think you can check my arithmetic and see if I've worked out the solution correctly?

I'm betting Halls already checked the math. He tends to catch small errors. As far as the "nappe" goes he's just telling that full geometry of your equation looks like a 'double cone' (one for x>0 and one for x<0), but it's still ok to call it a 'cone'. "nappe" is generic name for one of these two parts.

Related to 3D Surfaces - Equation Formed When Rotating a 2D Line About an Axis?

1. What is a 3D surface?

A 3D surface is a mathematical representation of a three-dimensional object. It is created by rotating a 2D line or curve around an axis, resulting in a solid shape.

2. How is a 3D surface formed?

A 3D surface is formed by rotating a 2D line or curve around an axis, creating a solid shape. This process can be visualized as a sheet of paper being rotated around a pencil, resulting in a 3D cone shape.

3. What is the equation used to form a 3D surface?

The equation used to form a 3D surface is called a parametric equation. It has three variables, representing the x, y, and z coordinates of points on the surface. The equation is typically in the form of x = f(u), y = g(u), and z = h(u), where u is a parameter that changes as the 2D line is rotated around the axis.

4. What is the significance of rotating a 2D line around an axis?

Rotating a 2D line around an axis allows us to create a 3D surface, which is a fundamental concept in geometry and mathematics. It also has practical applications in engineering, architecture, and computer graphics.

5. Can a 3D surface be created from any 2D line?

Yes, a 3D surface can be created from any 2D line or curve. However, the resulting shape may differ depending on the characteristics of the 2D line, such as its length, curvature, and orientation relative to the axis of rotation.