3D Printing a transparent plastic object....

In summary: Polymer that is rubbery, like a running shoe sole, and not as stiff as PLA or ABS...I will do some internet search...
fog37
Hello Forum,

I am new to 3D printing and wondering if any of you have been able to print transparent plastic object with 3D printing. It seems that translucency is the best that we can get. Is that true?

Are today's affordable 3D printer still only work with PLA and ABS or are there other more interesting materials
to work with?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
It seems that translucency is the best that we can get. Is that true?

Yes. FDM parts can never be flat so light will always be defused. There are post processing techniques that help:

http://taulman3d.com/t-glase-optics.html

Stereolithography (SLA) processes do have some clear options. I've gotten some parts printed by a vendor using 3DSystems Visijet SL Clear material, and they came out very clear. See here: https://www.3dsystems.com/materials/visijetr-sl-clear. Getting parts very clear does sometimes require mild polishing after printing though, it depends some on the geometry and where support material is needed.

upload_2017-1-30_9-35-26.png

Thank you.
SLA seems to achieve pretty good clarity. I think there are some affordable SLA printers too out there...

Two more questions if I may:

I would like to 3D print using a material that is soft, flexible and resistant, like the rubber that makes shoes sole. What polymer would you advice using? Would any type of 3D printer work with such material?

Thanks!

I recommend a simple internet search. Not all machines support all materials, you'll have to find a system which meets your needs both in materials and mechanical properties. If I had to guess I'd say you won't find a material which is clear and flexible, it will be one or the other.

Hi,

Sorry I was not clear. I don't need the clarity in this case, just a polymer that is rubbery, like a running shoe sole, and not as stiff as PLA or ABS...I will do some internet search...

Related to 3D Printing a transparent plastic object....

1. How does 3D printing create transparent plastic objects?

3D printing creates transparent plastic objects through a process called stereolithography. This involves using a UV laser to solidify a liquid resin layer by layer, creating a three-dimensional object. The resin used for transparent objects is specially formulated to allow light to pass through it, resulting in a transparent finished product.

2. What types of materials can be used to create transparent 3D printed objects?

The most commonly used material for transparent 3D printed objects is a clear resin, such as an acrylic-based resin. Other materials that can also be used include polycarbonate, PETG, and polystyrene. These materials are known for their transparency and ability to be 3D printed.

3. Can 3D printed transparent objects be used for functional purposes?

Yes, 3D printed transparent objects can be used for functional purposes. Depending on the material used, these objects can have high strength and durability, making them suitable for various practical applications. However, it is important to note that the level of functionality may vary depending on the design and purpose of the object.

4. Are there any limitations to 3D printing transparent plastic objects?

While 3D printing technology has advanced significantly in recent years, there are still some limitations when it comes to printing transparent objects. One limitation is the size of the object, as larger objects may have a higher chance of warping or distortion during the printing process. Additionally, achieving a completely clear and smooth finish can be challenging, and may require post-processing techniques.

5. What are the benefits of 3D printing transparent plastic objects?

There are several benefits to 3D printing transparent plastic objects. One major advantage is the ability to create complex and intricate designs that would be difficult or impossible to achieve with traditional manufacturing methods. Additionally, 3D printing allows for customization and on-demand production, making it a cost-effective option for small-scale production. It also has a lower environmental impact compared to traditional manufacturing processes, as it produces less waste and uses less energy.