3 Pinned Frame - Produce Calcs, BMD & SFD

• Thread starter Phil52
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary, the individual needs to provide calculations and produce Shear Force Diagrams and Bending Moment Diagrams, but is unsure if they have made a mistake somewhere since the diagrams do not appear correct. They suspect that positive and negative values may have been mixed up and are seeking advice. Upon reviewing the attachment, it is noted that the initial diagram does not show a pin at point C and the wind pressure must be multiplied by the frame spacing to get the horizontal frame load. Additionally, there was an incorrect moment arm used for a load, and the shear and moment diagrams should show a moment at the upper corner joints rather than 0 due to the rigid connection of the horizontal and vertical members at those joints.
Phil52
I have to provide calcs and then produce Shear Force Diagrams, Bending Moment Diagrams.
I,ve completed it but I think I,m going wrong somewhere. The diagrams do not look correct. I suspect I,ve possibly got positive/negative values mixed up somewhere through it but I,m not totally sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See attachment for the question & my workings.

Attachments

• 3 Pin Frame.pdf
    679.6 KB · Views: 1,506
Physics news on Phys.org
Phil52 said:
I have to provide calcs and then produce Shear Force Diagrams, Bending Moment Diagrams.
I,ve completed it but I think I,m going wrong somewhere. The diagrams do not look correct. I suspect I,ve possibly got positive/negative values mixed up somewhere through it but I,m not totally sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See attachment for the question & my workings.
your initial diagram does not show the pin at C.
The frames are spaced 4.8 m apart , so the wind pressure must be multiplied by the frame spacing to get the horizontal frame load in units of kN/m.
Otherwise your approach looks good, but you had an incorrect moment arm for that 10.6 N load ...should be 16 m not 8 m.
When you draw shear and moment diagrams, there must be a moment at the upper corner joints, not 0 as you have shown. The horiz and vert members are rigidly connected at those joints.

Related to 3 Pinned Frame - Produce Calcs, BMD & SFD

What is a "3 Pinned Frame"?

A 3 Pinned Frame is a structural system used in engineering and construction. It consists of three pins or hinges that connect three members, creating a triangular shape. This type of frame is commonly used in building structures such as bridges and buildings to support vertical loads.

What are "Produce Calcs" in relation to a 3 Pinned Frame?

"Produce Calcs" refers to the process of performing calculations to determine the strength and stability of a 3 Pinned Frame. This involves analyzing the forces and stresses acting on the frame and ensuring that it can withstand the loads it is designed for.

What is BMD in the context of a 3 Pinned Frame?

BMD stands for "Bending Moment Diagram" and is a graphical representation of the bending moments at different points along the length of a 3 Pinned Frame. This diagram is used to analyze the distribution of forces and stresses within the frame and to determine its structural integrity.

What is SFD and how is it related to a 3 Pinned Frame?

SFD stands for "Shear Force Diagram" and is a graphical representation of the shear forces acting on a 3 Pinned Frame. It is used in conjunction with the Bending Moment Diagram to analyze the internal forces and stresses in the frame and ensure its stability.

Why are calculations, BMD, and SFD important in the design of a 3 Pinned Frame?

Calculations, BMD, and SFD are crucial in the design of a 3 Pinned Frame because they allow engineers to determine the strength and stability of the structure. These analyses help ensure that the frame can withstand the loads it will be subjected to and prevent any potential structural failures or collapses.