2nd Order Perturbation Coefficients.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the estimated energy contribution of a term |I> to a wavefunction |K>. The equation for this contribution is given as ΔE = (|<I|H|K>|^2)/(E_K - <I|H|I>). The conversation continues with a request for a simple way to extract the coefficient associated with |I>, and a suggestion to calculate the second order correction to energy. It is suggested to refer to a book on quantum mechanics or Wikipedia for more information on perturbation theory.
Morberticus
I have found an expression for the estimated energy contribution a term |I> will bring to a wavefunction |K>

[itex]\Delta E = \frac{|\langle I|\hat{H}| K\rangle|^2}{(E_K - \langle I |\hat{H}| I\rangle)}[/itex]

Is there a simple way to extract the coefficient that will be associated with |I>? Even a link to relevant literature would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The first order correction to the wavefunction k reads something like
##|k\rangle_1=|k\rangle+\sum_I\frac{\langle I|H| k\rangle}{E_k-\langle I|H|I \rangle } |I\rangle ##
using your notation. It is enough to calculate the second order correction to energy.
Is it that what you are looking for?
Any book on QM will contain a chapter on perturbation theory.
Also wikipedi contains quite a lot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perturbation_theory_(quantum_mechanics)

Likes 1 person

Related to 2nd Order Perturbation Coefficients.

1. What is the significance of 2nd order perturbation coefficients in scientific research?

2nd order perturbation coefficients are important in scientific research because they help to accurately predict and understand the behavior of complex systems. These coefficients take into account the effects of higher-order interactions that can significantly influence the overall behavior of a system.

2. How are 2nd order perturbation coefficients calculated?

2nd order perturbation coefficients are calculated using mathematical equations and algorithms, often involving matrix calculations. These calculations take into account the initial state of a system and the perturbations or disturbances that affect it, in order to determine the coefficients.

3. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd order perturbation coefficients?

The main difference between 1st and 2nd order perturbation coefficients is the level of complexity and accuracy they provide in predicting the behavior of a system. 1st order coefficients only take into account the direct effects of perturbations, while 2nd order coefficients consider both the direct and indirect effects of perturbations.

4. In what fields of science are 2nd order perturbation coefficients commonly used?

2nd order perturbation coefficients are commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to study and understand complex systems. They are also used in fields such as economics and biology to model and predict the behavior of systems with multiple interacting components.

5. What are the limitations of using 2nd order perturbation coefficients?

While 2nd order perturbation coefficients are useful in predicting the behavior of complex systems, they have some limitations. These coefficients may not accurately capture the behavior of highly nonlinear systems, and their accuracy is dependent on the accuracy of the initial state and perturbation data used in the calculations.