Perturbation of a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving perturbation in energy levels. The participants share their working and solutions for the question, with one person asking for a check on their solution. The expert summarizer notes that there may be a sign error in one of the calculations provided.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Could someone please see if my working are correct for this question, I have never actually done a question of this nature before, and after reading up about the derivation on the perturbation I thought I give ago and apply, my final answer dose not seem correct, as I believe the energy is suppose to decrease not increase when split.

I have attached a picture of the question due to the large content
imageedit_9_4352134555.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My working as follows

a) Ground Energy Level

Unperturbed Energy level
$$E_0^{(0)}=-h\bot $$
First Order Perturbed Ground Energy Level
$$E_0^{(1)}=\langle 0|\hat{H}|0\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1&-1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}h\bot &0\\ 0&-h\bot \end{pmatrix}\:\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1\\ 1\end{pmatrix}=\frac{1}{2}\left(h\bot -h\bot \right)=0 $$

First Excited Energy level

perturbed Energy level
$$E_1^{0}=h\bot $$
First Order Perturbed First Energy Level
$$E_1^{(1)}=\langle 1|\hat{H}|1\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}h\bot \:&0\\ \:0&-h\bot \:\end{pmatrix}\:\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1\\ \:1\end{pmatrix}=\frac{1}{2}\left(h\bot -h\bot \right)=0$$

$$E_0\approx -h\bot +\left(\frac{h\parallel }{h\bot }\right)^2E_0^{(2)} $$

$$E_1\approx h\bot +\left(\frac{h\parallel }{h\bot }\right)^2E_1^{(2)}$$

b)
Ground state second order perturbed
$$E_0^{\left(2\right)}=\frac{\left|\langle1^{0}|\hat{H_1}|0^{(0)}\rangle\right|^2}{E_0^{\left(0\right)}-E_1^{\left(0\right)}}$$

$$\langle 1^{(0)}|\hat{H_1}|0^{(0)}\rangle= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(1,1\right)\begin{pmatrix}h\bot &0\\ 0&-h\bot \end{pmatrix}\:\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1\\ -1\end{pmatrix}=\frac{1}{2}\left(h\bot -h\bot \right)=0$$

$$E_0^{(2)}=0$$

First Excited state second order perturbed

$$E_0^{\left(2\right)}=\frac{\left|\langle0^{0}|\hat{H_1}|1^{(0)}\rangle\right|^2}{E_1^{\left(0\right)}-E_0^{\left(0\right)}} $$

$$ \langle 1^{(0)}|\hat{H_1}|0^{(0)}\rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(1,-1\right)\begin{pmatrix}h\bot &0\\ 0&-h\bot \end{pmatrix}\:\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1\\ 1\end{pmatrix}=h\bot$$

$$E_1^{\left(2\right)}=\frac{h\bot }{2}$$

$$E_1=h\bot+\left(\frac{h\parallel }{h\bot }\right)^2\frac{h\bot }{2}$$

c)
$$\Delta E=E_1-E_0$$

$$\Delta E=h\bot +\left(\frac{h\parallel }{h\bot }\right)^2\:\frac{h\bot }{2}+h\bot =2h\bot +\left(\frac{h\parallel \:}{h\bot \:}\right)^2\:\frac{h\bot \:}{2}$$

$$\Delta E=2T+\left(\frac{0.1}{1}\right)^2\cdot \frac{1}{2\:}=2.005$$

As mention I do not believe this to be correct , If possible could someone please point out my mistake.

Attachments

• imageedit_9_4352134555.png
    imageedit_9_4352134555.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 325
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
b)
Ground state second order perturbed
$$\langle 1^{(0)}|\hat{H_1}|0^{(0)}\rangle= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(1,1\right)\begin{pmatrix}h\bot &0\\ 0&-h\bot \end{pmatrix}\:\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1\\ -1\end{pmatrix}=\frac{1}{2}\left(h\bot -h\bot \right)=0$$
Check this. Looks like a sign error in the calculation. Otherwise, it generally looks good.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Check this. Looks like a sign error in the calculation. Otherwise, it generally looks good.
Ah, thank you.

Related to Perturbation of a Magnetic Field

What is perturbation of a magnetic field?

Perturbation of a magnetic field refers to changes or disruptions in the strength or direction of a magnetic field. These changes can be caused by external factors such as the presence of other magnetic fields or by internal factors such as changes in the material properties of the magnetic field source.

How does perturbation affect magnetic fields?

Perturbation can cause changes in the strength, direction, and shape of a magnetic field. These changes can also affect the behavior of charged particles within the field, altering their trajectories and potentially leading to the creation of new magnetic fields.

What are the applications of studying perturbation of a magnetic field?

Studying perturbation of a magnetic field is important in a variety of fields, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. Understanding how magnetic fields can be disrupted and manipulated is crucial for developing technologies such as magnetic levitation, particle accelerators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

How is perturbation of a magnetic field measured and analyzed?

Perturbation of a magnetic field can be measured and analyzed using various techniques, such as magnetic field sensors and computer simulations. These methods allow scientists to quantify the changes in the magnetic field and understand the underlying causes and effects of perturbation.

What are the potential impacts of perturbation of a magnetic field on the environment?

Perturbation of a magnetic field can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. For example, it can disrupt animal navigation and migration patterns, but it can also protect the Earth from harmful cosmic rays. Further research is needed to fully understand the effects of perturbation on the environment.