2nd order ODE with constant coefficients and tricky RHS

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the forum poster was struggling to find the particular solution for the differential equation \frac {d^2x} {dt^2} -x = te^{-t}. They had tried guessing solutions of the form Ate^{-t} + Bt and Ate^{-t} + Be^{-t}, but were unable to find a solution for B. They were seeking help on how to approach this problem. The expert responded by suggesting the method of undetermined coefficients and provided a step-by-step explanation on how to find the particular solution. They also encouraged the poster to keep practicing and wished them good luck with their studies.
Batmaniac

Homework Statement

[tex]
\frac {d^2x} {dt^2} -x = te^{-t}
[/tex]

Find the general solution (I only need help on finding the particular solution).

Homework Equations

Well, I can easily find the complimentary solution via the characteristic equation, my problem lies in the particular solution.

If the RHS (right hand side) is a simple exponential function, I know to guess [tex]Ae^{-t}[/tex] then take the derivatives and sub them back into the equation then solve for A. I also know if the RHS is a simple polynomial of t, I guess that the particular solution is of the form [tex]At^{n} + Bt^{n-1} + ... +[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Given my above understanding, I tried guessing that the solution is [tex]Ate^{-t} + Bt[/tex] and [tex]Ate^{-t} + Be^{-t}[/tex] and both of them gave me no solution for B when trying to equate coefficients. So I have no idea what my guess should be.

Any help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your frustration with finding the particular solution for this differential equation. It can be tricky at times, but I am here to help you through it.

First, let's rewrite the equation in a more familiar form:
x'' - x = te^(-t)

Now, we can use the method of undetermined coefficients to find the particular solution. Since the RHS is a product of t and e^(-t), we will try a particular solution of the form At^2e^(-t). This is because the highest power of t in the RHS is 1, so we need to have a term with a power of t that is at least 1 higher in our particular solution.

Now, let's plug this into the equation and solve for A:
x'' - x = te^(-t)
(2Ae^(-t) - At^2e^(-t)) - (At^2e^(-t) - At^2e^(-t)) = te^(-t)
2Ae^(-t) = te^(-t)
A = 1/2

Therefore, our particular solution is x_p = (1/2)t^2e^(-t).

I hope this helps you in finding the particular solution for this differential equation. Keep practicing and you will become more confident in solving these types of problems. Good luck with your studies!

Related to 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients and tricky RHS

1. What is a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients?

A 2nd order ordinary differential equation (ODE) is an equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. A constant coefficient refers to a coefficient in the equation that does not depend on the independent variable. Therefore, a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients is an equation that involves a function, its first and second derivatives, and all coefficients are constant.

2. What makes a RHS tricky in a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients?

The right-hand side (RHS) of a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients can be considered tricky if it involves non-constant terms, such as trigonometric functions, exponential functions, or other nonlinear functions. This can make solving the equation more challenging and may require the use of special techniques or methods.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients and tricky RHS?

There are several methods for solving a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients and tricky RHS, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transform. The specific method used will depend on the form of the RHS and the specific equation being solved.

4. Can a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients and tricky RHS have multiple solutions?

Yes, a 2nd order ODE with constant coefficients and tricky RHS can have multiple solutions. This is because the solution to the equation will depend on the initial conditions, and different sets of initial conditions can lead to different solutions. Additionally, in some cases, the equation may have multiple solutions for a given set of initial conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of 2nd order ODEs with constant coefficients and tricky RHS?

2nd order ODEs with constant coefficients and tricky RHS can be used to model a wide range of physical and natural phenomena, such as motion of objects under the influence of external forces, electrical circuits, and population growth. They are also commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to describe and analyze complex systems and processes.