2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODE - having trouble

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a suspension system and a 2 cm bump in the road. The goal is to find the minimum damping coefficient needed to avoid oscillation, the expression for the amplitude of vibration of the mass after running over the bump, and the amplitude of vibration at 1 ms and 1 sec after running over the bump. The attempt at a solution involves using the homogeneous solution and a particular solution to solve for the coefficients. However, there is uncertainty about how to solve the particular solution and how to separate the coefficients. The question is also raised about why y = A0 + A1t was chosen as the particular solution.
InSaNiUm
1. Homework Statement :
This problem is in regard to a suspension system (mass, spring, dashpot) subjected to a 2 cm bump in the road. Given the mass and spring coefficient, we are to find:

a) The minimum damping coefficient, c, to avoid oscillation.
b) The expression for amplitude of vibration of the mass after the vehicle runs over the bump.
c) The amplitude of vibration 1 ms and 1 sec after running over the bump.

m = 270kg
k = 70,000N/m
d = 2cm (height of bump)

Homework Equations

[tex]my'' + cy' +ky = f(t)[/tex]
This is a non-homogeneous equation, so:
[tex]y(t) = y_h(t) + y_p(t)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I used the homogeneous solution:
[tex]y'' + \frac{c}{m}y' + \frac{k}{m}y = 0[/tex]
to find the characteristic:
[tex]r^2 + \frac{c}{m}r + \frac{k}{m} = 0[/tex]
Inside it's quadratic, I set [tex](\frac{c}{m})^2 - 4\frac{k}{m} = 0[/tex] for the critically damped case and got [tex]c_{min} = 8,695[/tex]N-m/s.

Since this gives me two identical roots the soln becomes [tex]y_h(t) = c_1e^{-16t} + c_2te^{-16t}[/tex]

I'm pretty sure that's right, but the part I'm stumped on is how to solve the particular solution.

I tried solving it with the forcing function being an impulsive function [tex]f(t) = d(\frac{1}{\epsilon})[/tex] where d is the .02m bump. I chose t=0 for the impulse.

[tex]y_p'' + \frac{c}{m}y_p' + \frac{k}{m}y_p = \frac{2}{m\epsilon}[/tex]for [tex]0<t<\epsilon[/tex]
I chose polynomials for the solution:
[tex]y_p = A_0 + A_1t[/tex]
so:
[tex]y_p' = A_1[/tex] and [tex]y_p'' = 0[/tex]
When I plug this back in I get:
[tex]\frac{c}{m}A_1 + \frac{k}{m}(A_0 + A_1t) = \frac{2}{m\epsilon}[/tex]

Now, how do I separate the coefficients? Have I gone astray somewhere? I don't know where to go from here.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain WHY you chose y= A0+A1t as the particular solution. As long as t is less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex], your right hand side is a constant. Why not just y= A?

Related to 2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODE - having trouble

1. What is a 2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODE?

A 2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives up to the second order. It is called non-homogeneous because it contains a non-zero function on the right side of the equation.

2. How do I know if an ODE is 2nd order, linear, and non-homogeneous?

To determine if an ODE is 2nd order, check for the highest derivative of the function. If it is the second derivative, then the ODE is 2nd order. To check if it is linear, make sure that the function and its derivatives are raised to the first power. If there is a non-zero function on the right side, then the ODE is non-homogeneous.

3. What is the general solution for a 2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODE?

The general solution for a 2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODE is the sum of the complementary solution and the particular solution. The complementary solution is the solution to the corresponding homogeneous ODE, while the particular solution is any solution that satisfies the non-homogeneous part of the equation.

4. How do I find the complementary solution and particular solution for a 2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODE?

To find the complementary solution, set the non-homogeneous part of the equation to zero and solve the resulting homogeneous ODE. The particular solution can be found using variation of parameters, method of undetermined coefficients, or the method of undetermined coefficients for systems of equations.

5. What are some applications of 2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODEs?

2nd order linear non-homogeneous ODEs have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model systems such as mechanical oscillators, electrical circuits, and population growth. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and many other areas of science and technology.