2nd order differential equation

In summary, the bit i am not sure about is the -8e-2t - 7 bit on the right side because i only know how to deal with 2nd order differential equations when they are of the form a d2y/dt2 +b dy/dx +cy = r(t). trying e-2t times a polynomial in t might work.
howsaboutno
Hi i need some help with solving this equation2 d2y/dt2 + dy/dt +10y = 3sin(9t) - 8e-2t - 7

when y=0 dy/dx = 10 t=0

The bit i am not sure about is the -8e-2t - 7 bit on the right side because i only know how to deal with 2nd order differential equations when they are of the form a d2y/dt2 +b dy/dx +cy = r(t).

any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi howsaboutno! :smile:
howsaboutno said:
2 d2y/dt2 + dy/dt +10y = 3sin(9t) - 8e-2t - 7

when y=0 dy/dx = 10 t=0

i only know how to deal with 2nd order differential equations when they are of the form a d2y/dt2 +b dy/dx +cy = r(t).

(i assume you mean d2y/dt2 +b dy/dt +cy = r(t))

Not following you :confused: … it is of that form, isn't it?

You need one particular solution for each additive term in the RHS. The homogeneous solution works the same. The general solution is the homogeneous solution plus one particular solution for each of these additive terms.

i don't understand what you mean csprof. and tiny tim yes it is in that form but I am still stuck.

howsaboutno said:
… and tiny tim yes it is in that form but I am still stuck.

For 8e-2t, the normal thing to try would be e-2t times a polynomial in t. :smile:

This is not a HW forum, so I assume that you want to see this problem worked out. It hasn't been moved, so I'll just do it.

Start with the homogeneous solution.

2y'' + y' + 10y = 0

2s^2 + s + 10 = 0
s = [-1 +- sqrt(1 - 80)] / 4

Call these s1, s2. So we have
y_h = A*exp(s1*t) + B*exp(s2*t)

So far, so good... yes?

Next, we do each term in the RHS one at a time, looking for particular solutions. We'll use the method of UC. So...

for 3sin(9t) we guess y_p1 = C*sin(9*t) + D*cos(9*t)
Work out: y_p1' and y_p1'' and plug into the original ODE. Solve for C, D. Now you have one particular solution.

for -8*exp(-2*t) we guess y_p2 = E*exp(-2*t).
Work out: y_p2' and y_p2'' and plug into the original ODE. Solve for E. Now you have another particular solution.

for 7 we guess y_p3 = F.
Work out: y_p3'' and y_p3' and plug into the original ODE. Solve for F. Now you have the third and final particular solution.

The answer to the problem is:

y_general = y_homogenous + y_p1 + y_p2 + y_p3

thanks csprof although i did know what you meant just after i posted my previous comment.:-p was just the homogeneous phrase that got me a little confused.

The nice thing about linear equations (and why they are so much easier than non-linear equations) is that you can do "pieces" separately, then put them back together to get the whole solution. You can do this thinking of the right hand side as \(\displaystyle 3sin(9t) - 8e^{-2t} - 7\), using a yp of \(\displaystyle Asin(9t)+ Bcos(9t)+ Ce^{-2t}+ D\) or looking at the three parts separately- 3sin(9t) with yp= Asin(9t)+ Bcos(t)- \(\displaystyle -8e^{-2t}\) with \(\displaystyle yp= Ae^{-2t}[/math- and -7 with yp= A - and then put them together. Either way you will get the same answer.\)

Related to 2nd order differential equation

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its first derivative, and its second derivative. It is used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the general form of a 2nd order differential equation?

The general form of a 2nd order differential equation is y''(x) + p(x)y'(x) + q(x)y(x) = r(x), where p(x), q(x), and r(x) are functions of x.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. You can also use numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method, to approximate the solution.

4. What are the initial conditions in a 2nd order differential equation?

The initial conditions in a 2nd order differential equation are the values of the function and its first derivative at a specific point. These conditions are needed to find a unique solution to the equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of 2nd order differential equations?

2nd order differential equations are used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, the flow of electricity in a circuit, and the oscillations of a spring. They are also used in engineering to design structures and systems that can withstand external forces.