2nd order Diff EQ with x^2*y'', what shall i do i missed it

In summary, Ivey is trying to solve a problem using a method that works for equations with constant coefficients, when the equation has variable coefficients.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone!
i'm confused on how to approach this problem, my professor did an example and he used m^2-m-4m+6 = 0, if u have t^2*y''-4ty' +6y = 0;

So i tried to do the following, but the answer is wrong. Anyone see?
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3603/lastscan7jj.jpg

THanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I am wrong but this is what I did..
t^2y"-4ty'+6y=0
y"-4t^-1*y+6t^-2=0
X^r(r^2-4t^-1+6t^-2)=0
quadratic..
y=4t^-1(+-)sqrt(16/t^2+24/t^2)/2

y= 4/t (+-) sqrt( 16+24/t^2)/2
y=2/t + sqrt(10)/t, as long as t > 0 or it can be when t < 0, depending on initial conditions.

first i see a differential equation in y.
then some mixed equation in r,x.
then finally an expression in m.
and i don't have any idea how you've gone
from one to the other.

the idea for this is not to try solutions
that look like y = exp(kt) but to instead
look for solutions like y = x^m.

[the reason is that x^2 y'' will have the same
power of x as xy' and as y].

What you are doing is a method that works for equations with constant coefficients when your equation has variable coefficents.

erx works for constant coefficients because, since you don't have any functions in the coefficients, the derivatives have to be the "same type" in order to cancel.

For problems like these, "Euler type" or "equi-potential" equations, see what happens if you try y= xr rather than y= erx.

Another way to handle these equations is to make the substitution
t= ln x. If you do use the chain rule correctly, that will give you a differential equation for y as a function of t that has constant coefficients.

Thanks again Ivey! our professor never showed us, that, its weird he said i was doing this problem the right way! but i got the rigth answer with your technique i got:
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/5f/83961a711684a50c9332dfd970dc391.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to 2nd order Diff EQ with x^2*y'', what shall i do i missed it

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is an equation that involves the second derivative of a function. It is commonly used to model physical systems in science and engineering.

2. What is x^2*y in the context of a 2nd order differential equation?

x^2*y is a term in the equation that contains both the independent variable, x, and the dependent variable, y. It is important in solving the equation as it determines the behavior of the function.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation with x^2*y term?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation with an x^2*y term, you can use various methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or the Laplace transform. It is important to understand the initial conditions of the problem in order to determine the appropriate method.

4. What happens if I missed a class on 2nd order differential equations with x^2*y?

If you missed a class on 2nd order differential equations with x^2*y, it is important to catch up on the material as soon as possible. You can review the lecture notes, textbook, or seek help from your professor or classmates. It is also recommended to practice solving problems to reinforce your understanding.

5. Are there any real-life applications of 2nd order differential equations with x^2*y?

Yes, 2nd order differential equations with x^2*y have many real-life applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used to model physical systems such as oscillating systems, electrical circuits, and population growth. They are also used in economics, biology, and physics to describe various phenomena.