2nd law of thermodynamics question

In summary: Entropy is not necessarily a property of the surroundings. The entropy of the system is what's changing. The entropy of the surroundings is always constant. So according to the second law, the process can't happen spontaneously if the entropy of the surroundings is negative. The contradiction is clear and for me remains a puzzle.Thanks for your response, but the question remains. (Note: What appeared to be 250C was meant to be 25 degrees C.)The reaction with a negative delta G at 25 degrees C will be spontaneous, correct?Yes, the reaction is spontaneous at 25oC as well as any temperature below the Thermodynamic Equilibrium Temperature. Again, solve ΔGo
ssor
The reaction CO2 + 4 H2 <==> CH4 + 2 H2O (liq) at 25oC is downhill with a gibbs energy of -31 kcal/mol. It has a negative entropy of -98 cal/K. Thus an isolated system of the two starting gases should go to equilibrium on the basis of the Gibbs energy value, but the process would then violate the 2nd law. What am I missing here?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ssor said:
The reaction CO2 + 4 H2 <==> CH4 + 2 H2O (liq) at 25oC is downhill with a gibbs energy of -31 kcal/mol. It has a negative entropy of -98 cal/K. Thus an isolated system of the two starting gases should go to equilibrium on the basis of the Gibbs energy value, but the process would then violate the 2nd law. What am I missing here?
What is equilibrium?

This is a case where ΔH < 0 and ΔS < 0 with ΔG either + or - => Spontaneous at 'low' Temps but Non-spontaneous at 'high' temps. You need to determine the Thermodynamic equilibrium temperature from ΔH - TΔS = 0. ΔG above this temp will be + and non-spontaneous where as ΔG below this temp will be negative and spontaneous.

Thanks for your response, but the question remains. (Note: What appeared to be 250C was meant to be 25 degrees C.) The reaction with a negative delta G at 25 degrees C will be spontaneous, correct? However its negative entropy and the second law dictate it cannot be spontaneous. The 2nd law as I understand it deals with entropy, but Gibbs energies direct equilibria. Thus my confusion. Any additional comment is welcome, and thanks again.

The second law states that the entropy of the universe is always increasing. ΔS tells you how the entropy of the system changes. What's missing is the change in the entropy of the surroundings. You should review your thermodynamics text to figure out how to calculate the change in the entropy of the surroundings.

Yes, the reaction is spontaneous at 25oC as well as any temperature below the Thermodynamic Equilibrium Temperature. Again, solve ΔGo = ΔHo - TeqΔSo = 0 for Teq. Then calculate ΔGo for any temperature above Teq => ΔGo > 0 => non-spontaneous. Then calculate ΔGo for any temperature below Teq (including 25oC) => ΔGo < 0 => spontaneous. Nothing is violated relative to the 2nd Law.

Perhaps you need to understand that ΔHo and ΔSo are calculated using thermodynamic constants that are listed at 25o. However, these values when applied to ΔHo - TeqΔSo = 0 for Teq, the temperature value obtained (Teq) is the transition temperature separating spontaneous from non-spontaneous. Use Hess's Law Equation to determine ΔHo and ΔSo and test what I'm trying to say. ΔHo and ΔSo are both negative. (Hint: Teq = 612K for the listed rxn).

James Pelezo said:
Yes, the reaction is spontaneous at 25oC as well as any temperature below the Thermodynamic Equilibrium Temperature. Again, solve ΔGo = ΔHo - TeqΔSo = 0 for Teq. Then calculate ΔGo for any temperature above Teq => ΔGo > 0 => non-spontaneous. Then calculate ΔGo for any temperature below Teq (including 25oC) => ΔGo < 0 => spontaneous. Nothing is violated relative to the 2nd Law.

Perhaps you need to understand that ΔHo and ΔSo are calculated using thermodynamic constants that are listed at 25o. However, these values when applied to ΔHo - TeqΔSo = 0 for Teq, the temperature value obtained (Teq) is the transition temperature separating spontaneous from non-spontaneous. Use Hess's Law Equation to determine ΔHo and ΔSo and test what I'm trying to say. ΔHo and ΔSo are both negative. (Hint: Teq = 612K for the listed rxn).
I am still puzzled and appreciate your patience. I fully understand the notion of an equilibrium temperature, and clearly as I have written the equation its equilibrium position at 25oC falls well to the right based on the negative Gibbs energy. It thus should move spontaneously to the right to the equilibrium position (kinetics aside of course). My question comes down to this: At 25oC the reaction has both a negative entropy AND is spontaneous. My understanding of the 2nd law is that a process in an isolated system will take place spontaneously only if the entropy of the process is positive. The contradiction is clear and for me remains a puzzle.

Ygggdrasil said:
The second law states that the entropy of the universe is always increasing. ΔS tells you how the entropy of the system changes. What's missing is the change in the entropy of the surroundings. You should review your thermodynamics text to figure out how to calculate the change in the entropy of the surroundings.

As I understand it the second law applies to isolated systems in general, not just the universe. My question presumes an isolated system with a CO2/H2 mixture at 25 degrees C.

OK, try this ... Given ΔHo = - 60 kcal; ΔSo = -98 cal/K = -0.098Kcal/K. => ΔHo - TeqΔSo = 0 => Teq = ΔHo/ ΔSo = -60 Kcal/(-0.098Kcal/K) = 612K = Teq

Test for 620K > Teq => ΔGo = ΔHo - TeqΔSo = -60 Kcal - 620K(-0.095 Kcal/K) = -60 Kcal + 60.76 Kcal = +0.76 Kcal > 0 => (non-spontaneous)
Test for 600K < Teq => ΔGo = ΔHo - TeqΔSo = -60 Kcal - 600K(-0.095 Kcal/K) = -60 Kcal + 57.00 Kcal = -3.00 Kcal < 0 => (spontaneous)

Both ΔHo and ΔSo are negative => Rxn is non-spontaneous above 612K (ΔGo > 0) and below 612K, spontaneous (ΔGo < 0).

ssor said:
As I understand it the second law applies to isolated systems in general, not just the universe. My question presumes an isolated system with a CO2/H2 mixture at 25 degrees C.

The reaction releases energy. If the system is isolated, what happens to the energy that gets released? How does that affect the entropy of the system?

Define 'isolated system'.

Related to 2nd law of thermodynamics question

1. What is the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. It means that the amount of disorder or randomness in a closed system will always increase, and energy will inevitably be lost as heat.

2. How does the 2nd law of thermodynamics affect everyday life?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics is responsible for various natural phenomena that we experience in our daily lives, such as the cooling of hot objects, the rusting of metal, and the decay of organic matter. It also explains why it is impossible to create a perfectly efficient machine.

3. What is the difference between entropy and energy?

Entropy and energy are related but distinct concepts. Energy is the ability to do work, while entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In simple terms, energy is the quantity of matter or radiation, while entropy is the quality of that matter or radiation.

4. Can the 2nd law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the 2nd law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It has been experimentally verified countless times and is a cornerstone of modern physics. However, it is possible to manipulate and control energy and entropy to our advantage, such as in the production of electricity.

5. How does the 2nd law of thermodynamics relate to the concept of time?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics is closely related to the concept of time. It states that in a closed system, entropy will always increase over time. This means that time is asymmetrical, and things tend to move from a state of order to a state of disorder, rather than the other way around. This concept is also known as the "arrow of time."