2D momentum piece breaks problem

In summary, a piece of ice weighing 4 kg falls onto a frozen lake and breaks into three pieces, with the largest piece moving straight down at a speed of 4 m/s. The two smaller pieces, each weighing 2 kg, break off at 45 degrees. To find their speed after the breakup, the equation Pi=Pf is used, where Pi and Pf represent initial and final momentum. Using m and v to represent the smaller pieces' mass and velocity, and M and V for the larger piece, the equation becomes M*V+M*V=M*V+M*V. However, this equation does not provide enough information and a different notation should be used for clarity.
coldsteel
1.A piece of ice falls on a frozen lake and breaks up into three pieces which go off in the directions shown in the diagram below. The mass of the bigger piece is 4 kg and it moves with a speed of 4 m/s straight down, If the two smaller pieces are 2 kg each and break off at 45 degrees each. What would be their speed right after the breakup?

icebreaks.jpg

2. momentum initial = momentum final.
Pi=Pf[
M*V+M*V=M*V+M*V

3. I think I need to find the x and y compenents of the smaller 2kg piece, but I don't know how to start because the bigger piece is at 90 degrees. this would make the x compenent 0 right? if i solve for the y direction... M*V+M*V=0 would I take half of the mass of the big ice chunk becuase it splits evenly? I used 4(2)+2(V)=0 to get a y compenent of 4. then use trig to get the vector velocity which I got to = 5.7 m/s. Is this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is impossible to understand what you mean because equations like M*V+M*V=M*V+M*V make no sense. They are the same as 1 = 1: always true, but carry no information whatsoever. M*V+M*V=0 is hardly better, because it means V = 0, which cannot be true in this case. Please use notation that let's other people understand what you are doing. You can denote the little piece's mass as m, their velocities as v, and those of the large piece M and V.

Related to 2D momentum piece breaks problem

1. What is a 2D momentum piece break problem?

A 2D momentum piece break problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the momentum of objects in a two-dimensional plane. This type of problem typically includes objects with different masses and velocities colliding or breaking apart, and requires the use of conservation of momentum principles to solve.

2. How do you approach solving a 2D momentum piece break problem?

To solve a 2D momentum piece break problem, you should start by drawing a diagram of the situation and labeling the masses and velocities of the objects involved. Then, use the conservation of momentum equation (p = mv) to set up equations for the initial and final momenta of the system. Finally, solve the equations for the unknown velocities.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that the total momentum of the system remains constant, regardless of any internal forces or interactions.

4. Can a 2D momentum piece break problem be solved using only algebra?

Yes, a 2D momentum piece break problem can be solved using only algebra. However, depending on the complexity of the problem, it may be easier to solve using vector equations and trigonometry. It is important to carefully consider which approach will be most efficient and accurate for each specific problem.

5. What are some real-life applications of 2D momentum piece break problems?

2D momentum piece break problems have many real-life applications, including car collisions, billiard ball collisions, and rocket launches. They are also used in engineering and design to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in motion, such as in the development of airbags and other safety devices.