2D heat equation bounday conditions for different intervals

In summary, the conversation involves solving a heat equation with specific boundary conditions and finding the Fourier coefficients for a function that is constant over two different intervals. The solution is obtained using separation of variables and is expressed as a sum of sine and cosine functions with exponential terms. The final solution involves finding the values of lambda and using them to calculate the coefficients.
Gregg

Homework Statement

I have boundary conditions on my heat equation ## \dot{T}(x,t) = T''(x,t) ##

## T(0,t) = T(L,t), ##

## \frac{\partial T(0,t)}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial T(L,t)}{\partial x} ##

Then

at ## T= 0##

## T(x,0) = 1 ## for ## 0<x<L/4 ##
## T(x,0) = 0 ## for ## L/4<x<L ##

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the usual separation of variables, then getting two ODEs equal to a constant. I've called it ## \alpha^2 ## I have eliminated the possibility that ##\alpha^2 = 0. ## Will this always happen?

Now do I need to consider ## \alpha^2 < 0 ## and ## \alpha^2 >0 ## rather than just ##\alpha^2\ne 0 ##?

I find the fact that the boundary conditions run over an interval to be off putting. Am I to use the differential boundary conditions instead for now? I have deduced that:

##T(x,t) = c_1(e^{\alpha x} - e^{-\alpha x})c_2 e^{\alpha^2 t} ##

Of course if ##T_i(x,t) ## is a solution then ##T(x,t) = \displaystyle \sum_i T_i(x,t) ##

I have found that

## T(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} C_n \sin ({n \pi x \over l}) e^{n^2 \pi^2 t \over l^2} ##

So I need to find the Fourier coefficients of that function that is constant on the two different intervals. This is where I get stuck.

##C_n = \frac{1}{l} \int_0^{2l} f(x) \sin ({n \pi x \over l}) dx = \frac{1}{l} \int_0^{l/4} 0\cdot dx + \int_{l/4}^{l} \sin ({n \pi x \over l}) dx+ \frac{1}{l} \int_{l}^{5l/4} 0\cdot dx + \int_{5l/4}^{2l} \sin ({n \pi x \over l}) dx ##

I don't think this the correct form for the coefficient:

## C_n = \frac{1}{n \pi} \left[ -(-1)^n + 1 +0 + \cos({4 n \pi \over 5})\right] ##

So is it just integration over ## [0,l] ## ?

This would give

## T(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 2 \sin ({(2n-1) \pi x \over l}) e^{n^2 \pi^2 t \over l^2} ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your solution is correct. I don't like using T for the solution so I will write it as u(x,t)

Let ##u(x,t)=\varphi(x)T(t)##. Then ##\frac{\varphi''}{\varphi}=\frac{T'}{T}=-\lambda##.

So we have ##\varphi''+\lambda\varphi = 0\Rightarrow \varphi(x)=A\cos x\sqrt{\lambda} + B\sin x\sqrt{\lambda}## and ##T(t)=\exp(-\lambda t)##.

Next we have to solve ##\varphi## for
##\varphi_1(0) = 1\quad\quad\varphi_2'(0) = 0##
##\varphi_1(0) = 0\quad\quad\varphi_2'(0) = 1##

##\varphi(x) = A\cos x\sqrt{\lambda} + B\frac{\sin x\sqrt{\lambda}}{\sqrt{\lambda}}##

Using your initial conditions, we get
$$
A(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda}) = B\frac{\sin L\sqrt{\lambda}}{\sqrt{\lambda}} \quad \text{and} \quad B(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda}) = -A\sqrt{\lambda}\sin L\sqrt{\lambda}
$$
I solved for B and obtained
$$
B = \frac{-A\sqrt{\lambda}\sin L\sqrt{\lambda}}{1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda}}.
$$
From this, I can substitute and get
$$
A\left[(1 - \cos L\sqrt{\lambda})^2 + \sin^2 L\sqrt{\lambda}\right] = 0
$$
That means ##\lambda_n = \frac{4\pi^2n^2}{L^2}##.
This leads to
$$
u(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n\left(\cos \frac{2x\pi n}{L} + \frac{L}{2\pi n}\sin\frac{2x\pi n}{L}\right)\exp\left(-\frac{4t\pi^2 n^2}{L^2}\right)
$$

Related to 2D heat equation bounday conditions for different intervals

1. What is the 2D heat equation?

The 2D heat equation is a mathematical model that describes the flow of heat in a two-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to study heat transfer and temperature distribution.

2. What are boundary conditions in the 2D heat equation?

Boundary conditions in the 2D heat equation refer to the set of conditions that specify the behavior of the system at the boundaries of the two-dimensional space. These conditions can include temperature, heat flux, or both, and are used to solve the equation and determine the temperature distribution within the space.

3. How do boundary conditions vary for different intervals in the 2D heat equation?

The boundary conditions can vary for different intervals in the 2D heat equation depending on the specific problem being studied. Some common types of boundary conditions include Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin conditions, which specify the temperature or heat flux at the boundary in terms of the temperature or heat flux at a neighboring point.

4. What is the significance of boundary conditions in the 2D heat equation?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in solving the 2D heat equation as they provide information about the behavior of the system at the boundaries. They help determine the unique solution to the equation and can also be used to model real-world scenarios and make predictions about temperature distribution and heat transfer.

5. How are boundary conditions chosen for a specific problem in the 2D heat equation?

The choice of boundary conditions for a specific problem in the 2D heat equation depends on the nature of the problem and the desired outcome. It is important to choose appropriate boundary conditions that accurately represent the physical system being studied in order to obtain meaningful results.