2D Collision b/w two objects, How do I find the speed of the centre of mass?

In summary: So, to answer your question, yes, you would add up all the velocities of the particles and divide by the total mass to find the velocity of the center of mass. In summary, the conversation is about finding the center of gravity and momentum of two objects after an inelastic collision. The formula for center of mass is given and the individual's attempt at solving the problem is also mentioned. It is clarified that the velocities of all the particles should be added and divided by the total mass to find the velocity of the center of mass.
TaintedLove
Hi, I was attempting to work through this question.
Anyways, I was working from a graph, so the radius 2.5 cm, the two of them collided, it was an inelastic collision as the two objects did part ways, so how do I find the centre of gravity?
I attempted to calculate it... but if someone could help me out? The masses were 500g and 500g.

So for x and y, would I do:
Xcg = (500)(0.025) + (500)(1.5)(0.025) / 1000 ?
Ycg = (500)(0.025) + (500)(0.025) / 100 ?

That's what I was thinking but I'm not entirely sure.

After this, I also have to find the momentum of the centre of gravity... so for that, I need the masses and the speed.

Even though the objects didn't stick together, would I add the masses when solving for the momentum at the centre of mass?

I was reading on the internet and it said: "The center of mass velocity of a system of particles is the average velocity of all the particles weighted relative to their mass"

but what I'm confused about is, do I add all the velocities... like the velocities of both the masses before and after the collision? So I'd have 4 velocities? But I'd only add the masses twice right? So it would be the velocities / 1000 g

Could someone really help me. Please.

Physics news on Phys.org
It'd be rather easier for all involved if you use the homework question template. Or at least post the exact wording of the problem, followed by your attempt at solving it.

The formula for center of mass is
[tex]x_\text{CM} = \frac{\sum_i x_i m_i}{\sum_i m_i}[/tex]
and similarly for [itex]y_\text{CM}[/itex]. That is, for each particle involved, you multiply its position by its mass, then add up all those products, and finally divide by the sum of all the masses. That would be the average position of all the particles weighted by their masses. You can do the same thing with the velocities of the particles to find the velocity of the center of mass.

I would first like to clarify that the term "centre of gravity" is often used interchangeably with "centre of mass" but they are not exactly the same thing. The centre of gravity refers to the point at which the weight of an object can be considered to act, while the centre of mass refers to the point at which the mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated. In most cases, these two points coincide, but they can differ in certain situations, such as when an object is on an incline or in a non-uniform gravitational field. For the purpose of this question, I will assume that we are dealing with a flat surface and a uniform gravitational field, so the centre of mass and centre of gravity can be considered the same point.

Now, to answer your question about finding the speed of the centre of mass after a 2D collision between two objects, there are a few steps you can follow:

1. First, you will need to calculate the total mass of the system by adding the masses of the two objects. In this case, it would be 1000g or 1kg.

2. Next, you will need to calculate the total momentum of the system before the collision. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each object by its initial velocity (which can be determined from the graph) and then adding the two momentums together.

3. During the collision, the two objects will stick together and move with a common velocity (since it was an inelastic collision). This common velocity is the velocity of the centre of mass after the collision.

4. To find this common velocity, you can use the conservation of momentum principle. This states that the total momentum of a system before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. So, you can set the total momentum calculated in step 2 equal to the product of the total mass (calculated in step 1) and the common velocity.

5. Solve for the common velocity, which will give you the speed of the centre of mass after the collision.

6. To find the momentum of the centre of mass, you can simply multiply the mass of the system (calculated in step 1) by the common velocity (calculated in step 5).

In summary, to find the speed of the centre of mass after a 2D collision, you will need to use the conservation of momentum principle and consider the total mass of the

Related to 2D Collision b/w two objects, How do I find the speed of the centre of mass?

1. What is 2D collision between two objects?

2D collision between two objects occurs when two objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy and momentum in a two-dimensional space.

2. How is the speed of the centre of mass calculated in a 2D collision?

The speed of the centre of mass can be calculated using the formula:
vcm = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2)
where vcm is the speed of the centre of mass, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and v1 and v2 are the velocities of the two objects.

3. What factors affect the speed of the centre of mass in a 2D collision?

The speed of the centre of mass can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved in the collision, as well as external forces acting on the objects.

4. Can the speed of the centre of mass be negative in a 2D collision?

Yes, the speed of the centre of mass can be negative in a 2D collision if one of the objects involved is moving in the opposite direction of the other object.

5. How is the law of conservation of momentum applied in a 2D collision?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. In a 2D collision, the total momentum of the system can be calculated by adding the individual momenta of the objects. This means that the total momentum before the collision should be equal to the total momentum after the collision.