243.11.5.9 Area of intersection cardioid and circle

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the area of intersection between a cardioid and a circle. The speaker suggests using symmetry and known formulas for the area of a semicircle to find the answer. The final answer is $16(5\pi-8)$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
View attachment 7276

OK just seeing if this is setup OK
before I pursue all the steps
I thot adding areas would be easier:cool:

Attachments

• 243.11.5.9.PNG
    243.11.5.9.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 96
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: 243.11.5.9 area of intersection cardioid and circle

I see it like so ...

$\displaystyle \int_0^\pi \dfrac{8^2}{2} \, d\theta + \int_\pi^{2\pi} \dfrac{[8(1+\sin{\theta})]^2}{2} \, d\theta$

... note there are also opportunities to use symmetry.

Last edited by a moderator:

skeeter said:
I see it like so ...

$\displaystyle \int_0^\pi \dfrac{8^2}{2} \, d\theta + \int_\pi^{2\pi} \dfrac{[8(1+\sin{\theta})]^2}{2} \, d\theta$

... note there are also opportunities to use symmetry.
I'll try the symmetry ... half the limits mult by 2

$\displaystyle A=2\left[\int_0^{\pi/2} 64\, d\theta
+ \int_{3\pi/2}^{2\pi} [8(1+\sin{\theta})]^2 \, d\theta\right]$

$128\left[\displaystyle \left[\theta\right]_0^{\pi/2}
+\left[\theta-2cos\theta-\dfrac{\sin\left(2x\right)-2x}{4}\right]_{3\pi/2}^{2\pi}\right]$

sorry I just can't get this the bk ans is $16(5\pi - 8)$

Last edited:

I would use symmetry and known the area of a semicircle to write:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{8^2}{2}\left(\pi+2\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{0}\left(1+\sin(\theta)\right)^2\,d\theta\right)=32\left(\pi+\frac{3}{2}\pi-4\right)=16(5\pi-8)\)

Related to 243.11.5.9 Area of intersection cardioid and circle

What is the equation for finding the area of intersection between a cardioid and a circle?

The equation for finding the area of intersection between a cardioid and a circle is A = (9π/8)r², where r is the radius of the circle.

How do you know if a cardioid and a circle intersect?

A cardioid and a circle intersect if the center of the circle lies within the cardioid or if the radius of the circle is greater than the radius of the cardioid.

What is the relationship between the radius of the circle and the radius of the cardioid in order for them to intersect?

In order for a circle and a cardioid to intersect, the radius of the circle must be greater than the radius of the cardioid.

Can a cardioid and a circle have more than one point of intersection?

Yes, a cardioid and a circle can have up to two points of intersection depending on the size and position of the circle relative to the cardioid.

How can the area of intersection between a cardioid and a circle be used in real-world applications?

The area of intersection between a cardioid and a circle can be used in various real-world applications such as calculating the overlap between two objects, determining the area of a lens or reflector, or in mathematical modeling and analysis of curves and shapes.