242t.08.02.41 Find the area of the region bounded by

In summary, the conversation was about finding the area of a region bounded by the curves $y=8\cos{x}$ and $y=4\sec{x}$ with limits of integration from $-\frac{\pi}{4}$ to $\frac{\pi}{4}$. The conversation also discussed setting up the integral using symmetry and the correct antiderivative for $\sec(x)$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{242t.08.02.41}$
$\textsf{Find the area of the region bounded above by}$
$\textsf{$y=8\cos{x}$ and below by $4\sec{x}$}$
$\textsf{and the limits are $-\frac{\pi}{4}\le x \le \frac{\pi}{4}$}$
\begin{align*} \displaystyle
I_{41}&=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} (8\cos{x}-4\sec{x})\,dx
\end{align*}
$\textit{just want to see if this is set up right before step on the gas pedal}$:cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\tiny{242t.08.02.41}$
$\textsf{Find the area of the region bounded above by}$
$\textsf{$y=8\cos{x}$ and below by $4\sec{x}$}$
$\textsf{and the limits are $-\frac{\pi}{4}\le x \le \frac{\pi}{4}$}$
\begin{align*}
I_{41}&=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} (8\cos{x}-4\sec{x})\,dx
\end{align*}
$\textit{just want to see if this is set up right before step on the gas pedal}$:cool:

Yes, you have set this up correctly, however, I would take advantage of the symmetry of the integrand (even function) and write:

\(\displaystyle I=8\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} 2\cos(x)-\sec(x)\,dx\)

$\tiny{242t.08.01.41}$
I_{41}&=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} (8\cos{x}-4\sec{x})\,dx\\
&=8\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} 2\cos(x)-\sec(x)\,dx \\
&=16\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \cos(x) \,dx -8\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \sec(x)\,dx \\
&=\left[16\sin{x} -8 \ln{\cos{x}}\right]_{0}^{\frac{\pi} {4}}
\end{align*}

ok?

karush said:
$\tiny{242t.08.01.41}$
I_{41}&=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} (8\cos{x}-4\sec{x})\,dx\\
&=8\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} 2\cos(x)-\sec(x)\,dx \\
&=16\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \cos(x) \,dx -8\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \sec(x)\,dx \\
&=\left[16\sin{x} -8 \ln{\cos{x}}\right]_{0}^{\frac{\pi} {4}}
\end{align*}

ok?

I do agree that:

\(\displaystyle \int \cos(x)\,dx=\sin(x)+C\) since \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\sin(x)+C\right)=\cos(x)\)

But, you stated:

\(\displaystyle \int \sec(x)\,dx=\ln|\cos(x)|+C\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\ln|\cos(x)|+C\right)=\frac{-\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}=-\tan(x)\ne\sec(x)\)

What you want is:

\(\displaystyle \int \sec(x)\,dx=\ln|\sec(x)+\tan(x)|+C\) since \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\ln|\sec(x)+\tan(x)|+C\right)=\frac{\sec(x)\tan(x)+\sec^2(x)}{\sec(x)+\tan(x)}=\sec(x)\) :D

Related to 242t.08.02.41 Find the area of the region bounded by

1. What does "242t.08.02.41" represent in the given problem?

The numbers "242t.08.02.41" are most likely coordinates or measurements used to define the boundaries of the region in question. They could represent the x and y values of specific points or the length and width of the region.

2. How do I find the area of a region bounded by specific coordinates or measurements?

To find the area of a region bounded by specific coordinates or measurements, you can use the formula for finding the area of a shape that corresponds to the boundaries given. For example, if the boundaries are defined by four points, you can use the formula for finding the area of a quadrilateral.

3. What does "region bounded by" mean in this context?

In mathematics, a region bounded by specific coordinates or measurements refers to the area enclosed by those boundaries. In other words, it is the space within the defined boundaries.

4. Can I use any shape to find the area of the region in this problem?

No, you can only use the formula for finding the area of a shape that corresponds to the given boundaries. If the boundaries are not defined by a specific shape, you may need to use more advanced mathematical techniques to find the area.

5. How do I know if my answer for the area of the region is correct?

You can check your answer by using the same formula and plugging in the given boundaries. If your answer matches the given coordinates or measurements, then it is likely correct. You can also use visual aids, such as a graph or drawing, to verify your answer.