2018 REU and Summer Program Acceptance Thread

In summary, most people applied to REU programs or other summer jobs. SULI and SURF come to mind. Some people are waiting on decisions to be made, while others are excited for what they have applied for.
rcm said:
Accepted to BU Photonics REU for Neurophotonics and Vanderbilt VINSE REU in Effects of radiation on Electronic Devices. Need help deciding! Does anyone know anything about these institutions or programs? Thanks!
Congrats! Now its time to decide! It’s almost as anxiety inducing as waiting for an offer!:/ :/ hahah:)

Physics news on Phys.org
AbeC said:
Congratulations!
Thanks so much!:):)

You all seem so nice! I am happy for all your offers! My daughter (who is a junior at a LA college) is nervous as she has not heard anything from anybody. Her GPA dropped to 3.37 due to having taken some tough classes that were not in her major and she was not able to give them the time they required. Also, she has not been able to fit a programming class into her schedule, yet. I think these 2 things are reducing her chances. My guess is that those of you that are being “snatched up” early have those 2 things well taken care of? I am curious about the rejections some of you have received. Since she has not received any of these, perhaps she is on some sort of waiting list? Also, if she does not get any REUs she is planning to try to take a programming class this summer. Not sure where. The options for these look sparse in the summer. Have any of you ever taken online courses, and if so, where? And which has more physics application, matlab, c++ or python? She has only worked in Perl so far. Any other sage advise? Thanks!

Attachments

• F10FF916-79C9-4F8C-867B-5E45EA194120.gif
    F10FF916-79C9-4F8C-867B-5E45EA194120.gif
    28 KB · Views: 566
Giraffey said:
You all seem so nice! I am happy for all your offers! My daughter (who is a junior at a LA college) is nervous as she has not heard anything from anybody. Her GPA dropped to 3.37 due to having taken some tough classes that were not in her major and she was not able to give them the time they required. Also, she has not been able to fit a programming class into her schedule, yet. I think these 2 things are reducing her chances. My guess is that those of you that are being “snatched up” early have those 2 things well taken care of? I am curious about the rejections some of you have received. Since she has not received any of these, perhaps she is on some sort of waiting list? Also, if she does not get any REUs she is planning to try to take a programming class this summer. Not sure where. The options for these look sparse in the summer. Have any of you ever taken online courses, and if so, where? And which has more physics application, matlab, c++ or python? She has only worked in Perl so far. Any other sage advise? Thanks!
I haven't heard from most of the places I applied, but I did contact them separately. I was told by most that I'd be alerted once the program had completely filled all of its spots. If she is unable to take a programming class, she could try learning programming by coming up with personal projects she'd like to complete. There are many online resources that can help with programming. All the languages you listed are certainly useful. Personally, I have used python the most. Python is also one of the easier languages to learn with many applications in the sciences, so I'd advise learning that first. My research mentor used Matlab for the entirety of his PhD, but switched to python after because it is free. He says that python does everything he needed Matlab for. Hopefully that helps! Good luck.

Likes Giraffey
I think the best programming language depends on your specialty. In nuclear particle physics I’ve mostly seen C++, because CERN built their data analysis framework (ROOT) and their detector simulation framework (Geant) around C++. It’s also good to learn because it’s object oriented.

Likes salemclay and Giraffey
Oods said:
I think the best programming language depends on your specialty. In nuclear particle physics I’ve mostly seen C++, because CERN built their data analysis framework (ROOT) and their detector simulation framework (Geant) around C++. It’s also good to learn because it’s object oriented.
Thanks Oods and SalemClay. She is leaning toward electronics.

Giraffey said:
I would say that GPA is a factor but research experience is what I believe helped me the most! There’s is also nothing wrong with a polite inquiry regarding the status of her applications. A personal email to the director of each specific program would suffice, no mass emails.

After we have decided should we say all our info and everything we heard back for the REU applicatnts to see next year??

Jason Bennett said:
After we have decided should we say all our info and everything we heard back for the REU applicatnts to see next year??
I think that would be helpful for next year's applicants

Anyone know how to upload files? Excel? Word?
Then I tried making a URL link from the 'Save as Webpage' option. The links were broke.
Then I tried exporting Excel sheet as Latex code. Works in Latex but not in this comment.

Jason Bennett said:
Anyone know how to upload files? Excel? Word?
Then I tried making a URL link from the 'Save as Webpage' option. The links were broke.
Then I tried exporting Excel sheet as Latex code. Works in Latex but not in this comment.
I'm not sure. Maybe you can copy the information in the Excel file to a Google Sheet then share the link of that.

AbeC said:
I'm not sure. Maybe you can copy the information in the Excel file to a Google Sheet then share the link of that.
How did I not think of this? Thanks mate.

Rejected from Notre Dame.

byzantine04 said:
Rejected from Notre Dame.
Same

I just received an acceptance letter to MIT's MSRP. I applied for nuclear engineering/plasma physics and fusion. I was also accepted to SULI PPPL. I don't know which one to choose!

Likes AbeC
kubaanglin said:
I just received an acceptance letter to MIT's MSRP. I applied for nuclear engineering/plasma physics and fusion. I was also accepted to SULI PPPL. I don't know which one to choose!

Holy Crap! That is incredible mate!

I was actually not aware of the MIT program so I didn't apply! I looks amazing!
http://odge.mit.edu/undergraduate/msrp/2017-msrp-interns/byron-daniel/
http://odge.mit.edu/undergraduate/msrp/2017-msrp-interns/alan-salcedo/
http://odge.mit.edu/undergraduate/msrp/2017-msrp-interns/hannahmariam-mekbib/
Looks incredible. Do you know what mentors in the physics department are available? That could give you an idea of if you'd be super passionate about the research.

While SULI PPPL is more specified research, if you're into plasma, this is a one in a life time experience!

I would say, if you can pick literally anyone at MIT, go with MIT. If you're in love with plasma, go with SULI PPPL.

Congrats!:)

Has anyone heard back from UC Davis?

AbeC said:
Has anyone heard back from UC Davis?
Yes. After informing them of a decision deadline they told me I don’t have the math or physics background to work under the mentors I wanted. Then offered to match me another’s mentor in condensed matter theory.
Was disappointed but the other, Singh, seemed great as well!
All my info is in the spreadsheet above:) if the decision column is blank the program did not contact me even after I reached out .

Jason Bennett said:
Yes. After informing them of a decision deadline they told me I don’t have the math or physics background to work under the mentors I wanted. Then offered to match me another’s mentor in condensed matter theory.
Was disappointed but the other, Singh, seemed great as well!
All my info is in the spreadsheet above:) if the decision column is blank the program did not contact me even after I reached out .
Thank you! I did see that in your spreadsheet, but I wasn't sure what's up, as in why did you get a rejection letter but I still didn't . Thanks for the clarification!

AbeC said:
Thank you! I did see that in your spreadsheet, but I wasn't sure what's up, as in why did you get a rejection letter but I still didn't . Thanks for the clarification!
Oh duh I forgot I edited it to rejection! No problamo!

Would you all like to stay in touch, via this chat or email come late summer/ fall, to talk about applying for senior year scholarships?
I assume most of us are juniors.

I'm planning on:
Rhodes (for fun really, no shot I get it)
Hertz (for fun really, no shot I get it)
Marshall (I may legitimately have a shot at)
and NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (I may legitimately have a shot at).

Unfortunately my school isn't listed as a participating school for the Winston Churchill Scholarship, which would be another I may legitimately have a shot at.

Jason Bennett said:
Would you all like to stay in touch, via this chat or email come late summer/ fall, to talk about applying for senior year scholarships?
I assume most of us are juniors.

I'm planning on:
Rhodes (for fun really, no shot I get it)
Hertz (for fun really, no shot I get it)
Marshall (I may legitimately have a shot at)
and NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (I may legitimately have a shot at).

Unfortunately my school isn't listed as a participating school for the Winston Churchill Scholarship, which would be another I may legitimately have a shot at.
I haven't heard of most of these scholarships! But I would definitely like to stay in touch

I had a very good experience in a SULI program. I felt like the research I did was very interesting; I learned a lot and I felt very connected to other people participating in the program as they provided housing for us- a great networking experience, and so I recommend it to others. I'm not hearing much about NASA in earlier posts, but they have a lot going on too ;)

Likes Jason Bennett
AbeC said:
I haven't heard of most of these scholarships! But I would definitely like to stay in touch
I would definitely recommend checking them out!
Does anyone know if forums stay open indefinitely on this site? If they do we can just stay in touch here :)

I am a freshman chemistry major and I applied to all chemistry REUs. I have a 3.4 GPA and no research experience, so I know not to expect much.

I applied to:
University of South Carolina Dornsife
Florida State University
Boston University
Duquesne University
Clemson University - rejected

Wow did anyone else get that Purdue email?:/

Jason Bennett said:
Wow did anyone else get that Purdue email?:/
I was successfully tricked for a moment there

Jason Bennett said:
Wow did anyone else get that Purdue
AbeC said:
I was successfully tricked for a moment there
I don’t get what you guys are referring to here. Joke?

Update for my daughter. She has only heard from Vanderbilt VINSE on 3/16 with a rejection. Nothing from any of her other apps. Perhaps some are on spring break? Hard to think about undergrad researchers while sipping an umbrella drink on a tropical island...

The email included an attachment which contained the rejection. I'm used to attachments being for acceptances and direct texts for rejections

Likes Giraffey
I accepted my offer to MSRP and am super excited. I'm probably going to be working on the newly initiated SPARC fusion reactor at the MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center.

Yes I got the Purdue email and I had a similar reaction. Insensitive to send a rejection in an attachment.

Likes Jason Bennett
This is so stressful, I don't know how I'll make it through grad school applications.

Likes Jason Bennett
kubaanglin said:
I accepted my offer to MSRP and am super excited. I'm probably going to be working on the newly initiated SPARC fusion reactor at the MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center.

Wow this is so great! I hope your summer works out incredible:)