Create 4 4s to Make 35 37 39 & 41

• Thread starter Joseph
  • Start date
In summary: It is because of this unique factorization property that sets of parentheses aren't needed.In summary, the conversation discusses various methods to make the numbers 35, 37, 39, and 41 using four 4's through different mathematical operations. The constraint is that only addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division can be used with the four 4's. After trying various combinations, it is concluded that it is not possible to get any of the desired numbers. However, some interesting patterns are observed, such as using square roots and factorials. It is also mentioned that the use of other numbers and symbols may not be allowed in the problem.
Joseph
I need to make 35,37,39,and 41 using four 4's.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the only operations you can perform on the fours is addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, then you can't get any of them.

You'll always get an even number, regardless of the operations you use or the order you use them in.

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
If the only operations you can perform on the fours is addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, then you can't get any of them.

You'll always get an even number, regardless of the operations you use or the order you use them in.

cookiemonster

No, you can use two of the fours to produce one, as in 4 + 4 + 4/4 = 9. Or 4*4 + 4/4 = 17. Subtracting the quotient gives 7 and 15 respectively.

Offhand, given the four function constraint, I don't see a way to get a higher odd number than 17.

Can we use the four fours as strings instead of individual digits? 444/4 = 111, an odd number. 44/4 + 4 = 15. (44/4)^4 = 14,641, a very big odd number.

On the other hand, can we use factorials? 4! is 24, so 4! + 4! - 4/4 = 47. Drats, it's not on the target list. (4 * 4! - 4) / 4 is 23. Still no go.

Sorry, but I don't see a trick to get the desired numbers. :confused:

Last edited:
This is to cheat, but: ((4*4)4)/4=164/4=41

Aren't all numbers primes or products of primes?

I came pretty close for one of them.

[tex](\frac{4^2}{ \sqrt{1/4}}) - 4^0 = 31[/tex]

Can you see what I did?

Here's another one.

[tex](\frac{4}{ \sqrt{1/4}}) 4 - 4^0 = 31[/tex]

[tex](\frac{4^2}{ \sqrt{1/4}}) + 4^0 = 33[/tex]

Last edited:
Another one.

[tex]44 - 4 - 4^0 = 39[/tex]

I got to go, so I'll do the rest when I get back.

Use my tricks and you are good to go.

[tex]44 + 4^0 - 4 = 41 [/tex]

Got back from lunch. Time to study boring accounting.

Aha! I forgot to consider 4/4 = 1.

Good point.

cookiemonster

JasonRox said:
I came pretty close for one of them.

[tex](\frac{4^2}{ \sqrt{1/4}}) - 4^0 = 35[/tex]

Can you see what I did?

Here's another one.

[tex](\frac{4}{ \sqrt{1/4}}) 4 - 4^0 = 31[/tex]

[tex](\frac{4^2}{ \sqrt{1/4}}) + 4^0 = 37[/tex]

I'd presumed that using other numerals like 2 and 0 for exponents wouldn't be allowed. At least that's the case in problems of this sort I've seen before. Non-numeric mathematic symbols like square root are OK, but a cube root isn't be, since you have to use a numeral to specify it. If you can use a 4^2 to mean squared, why can't you say 4*5 or anything else?

Last edited:
I put squared to make it easier. If you count again, you will see there is four.

Remember all numbers have exponent 1's.

If I'm allowed square roots, I did nothing wrong. Square root is the same as exponent 1/2.

I didn't break any rules if you allow 1/2.

I believe that you are restricted to the number one. If you add 1/2 and 1/2 you get 1, and since you allowed 1/2, I can manipulate it to do other things. Here is how it works:

-1/2-1/2=-1 (I used 1/4 instead of 4^-1, because it didn't work for some reason)
1/2-1/2=0
1/2+1/2=1 (The regular exponent.)

See I broke no rules. :)

More...

[tex]4! + 4^2 + 4^0 = 41 [/tex]

There is 4 Four's.

Let's here the opposite of Fermat's Last Theorem!

[tex]x^n + y^n = z^n[/tex], is possible in infinite amounts for n<2.

Was this a class assignment? If so, let me know if changing a four to a one by raising it to the zeroth power is acceptable. I'd be surprised, but I'd like to know.

Also, earlier you wrote:

JasonRox said:
Aren't all numbers primes or products of primes?

All natural numbers are, that is, positive integers. Obviously negative numbers and fractional numbers aren't.

Further, each natural number is either prime or the product of primes in a unique way. There is one and only one such representation for each. That's the fundamental theorem of arithmetic.

1. How do you create 4 4s to make 35?

To create 35 using only four 4s, you can use the following mathematical equation: (4+4) * (4+4) - 4 = 35. This equation uses the four 4s to create the numbers 8, 8, and 16, which are then used in the equation to reach a final answer of 35.

2. What is the solution to create 4 4s to make 37?

The solution to create 37 using four 4s is: (4+4) * (4+4) + 4/4 = 37. Similar to the previous equation, this solution uses the four 4s to create the numbers 8, 8, and 16, and then adds 1 through the use of division to reach a final answer of 37.

3. Can you explain how to create 4 4s to make 39?

To create 39 using four 4s, you can use the following equation: (4+4+4) * 4 - 4 = 39. This equation uses the four 4s to create the numbers 12, 4, and 16, which are then used in the equation to reach a final answer of 39.

4. Is it possible to make 41 using only four 4s?

Yes, it is possible to make 41 using only four 4s. The equation to do so is: 4! + (4/4) * 4! = 41. This equation uses the factorial function (denoted by the exclamation point) to create the numbers 24 and 6, which are then used in the equation to reach a final answer of 41.

5. What is the significance of using only four 4s in these equations?

The significance of using only four 4s in these equations is that it challenges the traditional mathematical operations and encourages creative thinking. It is a fun and interesting problem to solve, and it showcases the flexibility and power of numbers and mathematical operations.